Calling all Nexus 7 owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Nexus 7 now up dating to 5.0.2

Only took minutes.
All downloaded ok.
Did a run through of all my apps I have on the machine and haven't found any problems...yet
So all good.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Its not the s/w update that's the issue with N7 2012 devices, its the cheap memory used in its build. N7 (2012) had issues before Lollypop came along. Solution is to run F2FS as the file system and you have a machine that runs like one of the new ones!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56822760&postcount=518

Link to the ROM is not working but this one does.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/rom-t2931064

Only attempt if you know what you are doing. HTH

Sorry to disagree, but it worked fine on JellyBean, upgraded seamlessly to KitKat and then virtually died on Lollipop 5.0. The update to 5.02 has made it usable but not a patch on what it was before. I also have a cheap 10" tablet, from Fusion, which cost me £80 brand new and it works far better than the Nexus on 5.02 and infinitely better than it did on 5.0. Lesson learned my next tablet will be a cheap one.

andyfraser

Über Member
Interesting, tell me more. How does changing the filesystem compensate for cheap memory?
I don't know in this case but from my experience different file systems are better at some jobs than others. XFS is better for large files and is used by some DVRs and some of the servers connected to digital cinema projectors for example. It could be that the other file system is better in this case.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Interesting, tell me more. How does changing the filesystem compensate for cheap memory?

Pretty much what Andy said, here's some more detail: http://www.xda-developers.com/speed-up-your-aging-nexus-7-2012s-storage-with-f2fs/

F2FS is more optimised to the type of memory used for storage in the N7, It really is a night / day difference to the device performance. Lollypop natively supports F2FS, but I am not sure how to get the stock lollypop on a F2FS without the installer trying to do something different to file system - however, the custom ROM I linked to manages to do it... still need to learn and be comfortable with the terms around boot loader, flashing, formatting etc but the guides are pretty straight forward.

byegad

Legendary Member
So ht did my N7 2012 work OK on JellyBean, then KitKat and not on Lollipop5.0? As I've said up-thread it's a bit better on 5.02 but not as fast as the previous two OS.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
My Nexus 7 now up dating to 5.0.2

Only took minutes.
All downloaded ok.
Did a run through of all my apps I have on the machine and haven't found any problems...yet
So all good.
Yes, mine was actually 5.0.2. I took the plunge and all seems great

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My one has updated itself - seems fine, and I find the new keyboard a lot easier to read.

brand

Update has slowed it to a snails pace from near instant. Turn it on and off sorts it out sometimes. BAST*RDS

robgul

Legendary Member
Nexus 7 2013 - 5.0.2 installed a couple of days ago ... it now lags when switching wifi on and going to, say, BBC news or K9 Mail - seems you have to let it connect to wifi an then wait a minute or two for it all to catch up before firing up any apps- otherwise it runs at a snail's pace or just displays a black screen - once "warmed up" it seems to run at normal speed.

The "available light" as the default setting for screen brightness is annoying ... took me a while to twig what was happening.

BUT the real issue with Android stuff at the moment is the ABSOLUTELY BLOODY AWFUL "UPGRADE" to the BBC News app - it seems that the BBC is worshiping at the Cupertino altar of all things fruit-like. News Republic is now my app of choice for News.

Rob

andyfraser

Über Member
Just to be contrary, I quite like the new BBC News app and have started using it more. I still prefer adding my own feeds to Feedly though then I can use one of many clients (mainly Feedly and FeedlyReader or Press on Android, Feedly and Mr Reader on iOS, and the Feedly website on laptop/desktop).

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Since performing a factory data reset on my nexus 7 (2012) a week ago, I can confirm that it works ok with 5.02 and seems quite stable, haven't had a reason to reboot it since.

Top Bottom