Cambs police "Ride single file"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/820...mbridge-area/story-28986775-detail/story.html

Cyclists have been told by police to stop hogging lanes near Cambridge but cycle clubs have hit back at drivers' behaviour.

Riders travelling in large groups on roads around the city have been told top go in single file by the Cambridgeshire force after complaints from motorists in the Shelford area.

A meeting of officers, residents and councillors in the Sawston neighbourhood police area were told of the problem after it was raised by motorists

Officers from South Cambridgeshire police contacted cycling clubs across the county urging them to travel in single file to allow traffic to pass.

I wonder what would happen if I called the cops to complain cars were in my way?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I imagine the comments are the usual depressing anti-cycling rubbish, mixed with threats of violence that the CEN seems to think is acceptable to allow on their website.

I think it is reasonable to ask the Police people involved what they consider their powers are in making new laws and re-writing the Highway Code. Limited in the extreme, I would have thought.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think it is reasonable to ask the Police people involved what they consider their powers are in making new laws and re-writing the Highway Code. Limited in the extreme, I would have thought.

They have not made any new laws. They have made requests of cycle clubs. Thats all.

machew

Veteran
So how long before the cycle clubs cycle in single file, taking primary position, just to show the Police how stupid the request is. A line of 20-30 cyclists is much harder to overtake than if they were 2-3 up

They have not made any new laws. They have made requests of cycle clubs. Thats all.
What they've asked is for cyclists to do something that often leads to more dangerous passes, only tends to benefit motorists who don't know how to overtake safely and ultimately doubles then length of the group making it more conflicting. That's all

Cyclists have been told by police to stop hogging lanes near Cambridge but cycle clubs have hit back at drivers' behaviour.

Riders travelling in large groups on roads around the city have been told top go in single file by the Cambridgeshire force after complaints from motorists in the Shelford area.

A meeting of officers, residents and councillors in the Sawston neighbourhood police area were told of the problem after it was raised by motorists

Officers from South Cambridgeshire police contacted cycling clubs across the county urging them to travel in single file to allow traffic to pass dangerously whenever and wherever they please rather than wait for an opportunity to do so safely.

Fixed that for them. Stupid journalists, swallowing that hook line and sinker.

South Cambs police obviously do not have a clue.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Plod said:
We contacted cycling clubs in and around Cambridgeshire and passed on the concern that had been raised and asked that they remind their members to cycle in single file on narrow country roads.

The Highway Code said:
Rule 66
You should
  • keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
Like it or not, all they've done is remind people what's in the Highway Code. You may argue that it's a should rather than a must, or that it's not actually best practice, but it is there.

Like it or not, all they've done is remind people what's in the Highway Code.
I had a quick look at Googlemaps Streetview on roads that might well be used by cycling clubs around Shelford, Sawston, and Little Shelford. Precious few that I would consider narrow enough to require single file riding ... and those that are, just don't go anywhere!

Suggests the "Disgruntleds of Shelford" have a ........... let's say, an "interesting" definition of what constitutes a "narrow country road". Maybe attributable to the fat-a***d Audi, BMW, and assorted SUV aircraft carriers they drive.

But - I hasten to add - I don't know the area.

Top Bottom