Can you get into cycling on a budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
Well from personal experience YES you can!

As some of you will know I started off cycling back in October last year after many years of unhealthy living and lifestyle choices. Being strapped for cash with two young kids expensive rent and just the general day to day living costs there was no way I could of got into cycling by purchasing a brand new bike even at the lower range.

So the story starts by trawling the local gumtree app and ebay after a few false starts looking at bikes that needed alot of work I found my current bike on ebay being sold by a guy who bought it new in 2014 but just struggled with the fit and position. Downside he was in Coventry I live in Essex but for £80 I thought it was worth a punt and having driven over and seen exactly what was been described and his original receipt and his bank card I was happy to part with my money.

Now I was under no illusion that buying a second hand bike was going to be simple and just jump on and off you go but the fact was after a little fettle of the brake blocks setting the saddle height and bars to suit my larger body I was off.

The next step was lights which has been sorted with a set of £4.99 lights from Aldi and a set of those rubber led lights at £3 from the lbs. A top mounted bag from amazon for £8 and a puncture repair kit and pump £6 were all I needed for the first few weeks of riding.

The next obvious step was padded shorts/leggings so a pair of muddy fox shorts and leggings did the job. There not great and since then I have upgraded to a pair of crivit shorts that were on sale at lid along with a cycling jersey for Christmas.
A btwin windproof jacket from decathlon winter gloves fingerless gloves and cycling glasses all for £50 finished off my cycling gear.

I also had the good fortune that my brother who also used to cycle had a pair of mtb shoes that were the same size as my feet so got those for free along with a long term loan of a cyclops turbo trainer. Both of which are not essential but have been a great help.

Since Christmas I have treated myself to a set of spd pedals £30 and recently a track pump from Halfords for £20. Little bits and pieces when I have the money.

Yes I know there are costs involved with the likes of general wear and tear items and yes the bike has its faults - frayed brake cable on the front, fisher price brake blocks which are fine in the dry but a little sketchy in the wet and a now slightly wonky wheel but apart from that the bike is perfectly road worthy and has given me a massive boost in fitness and general happiness.

So if your just setting off in the world of cycling there is a way of doing it no matter what you budget is.

Diggs

Veteran
Excellent stuff @Stevec047 and there's a lot of sense in that post. If you get the basics right, know what cycling you want to do and pick a bike that suits (and fits) then you're laughing.
Wilkos have some general bits and pieces (cables, lube etc.) that are pretty good for a few quid and on forums such as this there are plenty of people ready with advice (as well as YouTube) for fixing stuff yourself.
I doubt if that feeling you get riding outside is any different whatever bike you're on.
Love to see a pic of the new steed and I hope to see you out and about on the lanes of Essex sometime

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Excellent stuff @Stevec047 and there's a lot of sense in that post. If you get the basics right, know what cycling you want to do and pick a bike that suits (and fits) then you're laughing.
Wilkos have some general bits and pieces (cables, lube etc.) that are pretty good for a few quid and on forums such as this there are plenty of people ready with advice (as well as YouTube) for fixing stuff yourself.
I doubt if that feeling you get riding outside is any different whatever bike you're on.
Love to see a pic of the new steed and I hope to see you out and about on the lanes of Essex sometime
It's nothing special but it suits me down to the ground. There are a few things I want to sort out one being the saddle especially as I want to start pushing the distance up come spring. Other than that I will tend to wear things down to the point where safety is an issue and replace.

Wilko's is great when I get a chance to get over to Chelmsford. I am pretty handy with tools and yes You Tube and this forum have been a great help. Didn't have to fit my pedals as the guys at Evans did it for free for me so that was good.

Definitely be getting out more once the fitness levels increase I may even head over towards your manor for a nice ride.

Attachments

• 20160206_131130.jpg
    20160206_131130.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 131

13 rider

Guru
Nice right up Steve . Glad to see your still getting out and most importantly enjoying it !! . Fitness will come just stick with it . Nice to see other people get excited by things like pedals and track pumps its not just me.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Nice right up Steve . Glad to see your still getting out and most importantly enjoying it !! . Fitness will come just stick with it . Nice to see other people get excited by things like pedals and track pumps its not just me.
It's the little things that make me happy in life. I doubt I would benefit from owning one of these all singing carbon jobbies.

I also have convinced myself that this heavier bike and cheap gearing means I am having to put much more effort into riding than I would with a mid/top spec road bike. I may be totally wrong but it suits me at the moment.

13 rider

Guru
It's the little things that make me happy in life. I doubt I would benefit from owning one of these all singing carbon jobbies.

I also have convinced myself that this heavier bike and cheap gearing means I am having to put much more effort into riding than I would with a mid/top spec road bike. I may be totally wrong but it suits me at the moment.
I started with a heavy hybrid and rode that for 9 months and its a good way to gain fitness then I upgraded to a carbon jobbie and as Greg Lomond said it Dosn't get easier you just go faster .
Nothing wrong with carrea bikes good solid bike my mates rides one and has slowly upgraded bits wheels etc and its a really nice ride

Yep, I got a Triban 520, for (relatively) bugger all, and I've done stupid miles on it, and only had to do basic maintenance on it. If you insist on spending stupid money, there are plenty of people who will gladly take your money. You don't need to spend a lot, to get in to cycling, but if you want to, you will find a lot of people who can help you with that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Define stupid money :smile: stupid is relative to what else the money is needed for. Yes it's potentially stupid spending lots on a bike if the kids then go hungry. Less so if just using savings that would earn bog all in the bank and can be replenished prior to retirement

wonderloaf

Veteran
It's nothing special but it suits me down to the ground. There are a few things I want to sort out one being the saddle especially as I want to start pushing the distance up come spring. Other than that I will tend to wear things down to the point where safety is an issue and replace.

Wilko's is great when I get a chance to get over to Chelmsford. I am pretty handy with tools and yes You Tube and this forum have been a great help. Didn't have to fit my pedals as the guys at Evans did it for free for me so that was good.

Definitely be getting out more once the fitness levels increase I may even head over towards your manor for a nice ride.
Nice, think you got a bit of a bargain for £80 :thumbsup: Keep on cycling! :bicycle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wilkos used to stock Alhonga brake blocks which are pretty good for cheapies. They were labelled as BMX but fit my road calipers fine. Wear out fairly quickly, but better that than not stopping or wearing the rim.

Wonky wheel could be bearings (whole wheel wobbly on axle) or trueing (rim "wanders" left and right as you spin it) and neither are expensive fixes if you DIY based on online advice. Cone spanners, possibly ball bearings and grease for bearings (maybe £10-15 total) or spoke key to true (maybe £5).

Do you have the other Wilco Fast Fit near you? They do some reasonable cheaper spares,, too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you can beg, borrow or find a bike for free, you can get into cycle touring for nothing. You need no special gear to start touring.

On the other hand you can spend a fortune and get exactly what you want to Tour with.

RMurphy195

Define stupid money :smile: stupid is relative to what else the money is needed for. Yes it's potentially stupid spending lots on a bike if the kids then go hungry. Less so if just using savings that would earn bog all in the bank and can be replenished prior to retirement
OR you've retired, the kids have flown, the mortgage is paid, there's more than enough for the bills and the food and you've grown out of flash cars (if you ever grew into them that is!)

Top Bottom