Can you relate to Froome?I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Fantastic victory for Chris Froome and Team Sky, in what I consider the best Tour de France I can remember. So I consider it a bit of a shame that the media keep plugging away with telling us that the British public can't relate to him, or that he hasn't got the same appeal as Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Personally, I have total admiration and respect for Froome and all that he has achieved, backed, of course, by a fantastic team. His athletic prowess and work ethic stand alone, and I always enjoyed listening to his measured, calm and straight answers during post-stage interviews.

I guess Wiggins is always going to be the bigger star, as the first Briton to win the Tour, and for his exploits during the Olympics, but his self-centred arrogant attitude (which may be a necessary part of his make up to achieve his undoubted successes I guess) really grate with me.

If Froome really doesn't connect with the public just because he possibly comes across as slightly reserved when being interviewed then that is a real shame, because he's every bit as capable as any other Brit in the saddle.......and he's our first multiple Tour winner.

Okay he lives in Monaco, but that is as much to do with access to training environments as anything else, but when all is said and done, Froome is just as British as Sir Brad.

I don't dislike Wiggins, but I just hope Chris Froome gets the deserved recognition for his absolutely outstanding achievements.

D

Deleted member 26715

But isn't Wiggin's the only Briton to win the TDF, Froome is Kenyan sailing under a flag of convenience

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

[QUOTE 3822558, member: 259"]He's better. He's won it twice.
it's to do with tax.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't going to bring the tax issue up, mainly because that would be another negative for Froome to be battered for, whereas most Brits would be perfectly happy for Jenson Button to live there for the same reason.

discominer

I only recently finished his (sort of auto-)biography, written by (well known pro-doper) David Walsh, and I warmed to Froome. I also read Wiggo's book and didn't.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

I only recently finished his (sort of auto-)biography, written by (well known pro-doper) David Walsh, and I warmed to Froome. I also read Wiggo's book and didn't.
Based on his recent exploits, I had decided to buy Froome's autobiography, but it may be worth waiting a few weeks, as I'm sure it will be suitably updated soon.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I would've thought keen cyclists could relate to Froome's endeavours better than non-cyclists. That said, knowledge of the professional sport brings with it so much history and baggage that it can colour one's view.

On a broader note I think The Great British Public™ like their sporting heroes to have a bit of an edge and be somewhat anti-establishment. It's why Ronnie O'Sullivan has a bigger following than Shaun Murphy or why folk in the street prefer Freddie Flintoff and Beefy Botham to Ian Bell and Mike Brearley. Success and talent gets you so far. After that it's about appearing ordinary and yet extraordinary, or seemingly indestructible whilst teetering on the verge of self-destruction.

No one knows or has seen enough of Froome. He's extremely good at his job, one of the best in the world, but that seems to be not enough to truly endear a sportsman* to the public.

*I used that word purposely. I suspect it's different for sportswomen.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
But isn't Wiggin's the only Briton to win the TDF, Froome is Kenyan sailing under a flag of convenience

Mo Farah is from Somalia. It makes no difference to me, the guy represents GB and I can see how proud he is doing so.

Froome, as far as I'm concerned represents this country and does it very well. He is a gentleman and doesn't do anything to make the public think he should not represent this country.

Not everyone lives in another country for convenience. I had no saying in where I came to this world but it's my decision where I want to die and be buried.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKRU8lQ6Xwpsi0w-v75QRpD70K5bZ7XZ_aq3H0nuWWpmkHZyylvg.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Actually I think Froome is quite African in his character; bear in mind that his most formative years were in poor rural Kenya followed by a public school in South Africa. He would have the shy reserve of the black African and the controlled manner of a boy at a posh Protestant school in an Afrikaaner city.

If he didn't kick against his religious schooling Froome would be quite religious. Even if he is, unlike many Africans he doesn't invoke the will of God at every turn of the way.

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I wasn't going to bring the tax issue up, mainly because that would be another negative for Froome to be battered for, whereas most Brits would be perfectly happy for Jenson Button to live there for the same reason.
Personally I'd be perfectly happy for Jenson Button to live on Charon if that's where he wanted to live, just as long as he understands his voice on UK domestic issues is irrelevant

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If we reversed the question - can he relate to us - the answers might look different. Froome, though he rode a perfect TdF, seems to me to be a kind of British that is completely remote from my experience. Wiggins at least has a bit of regional accent, did grow up riding the streets of London, and has a very British kind of humour. In other words, he's marked by the same kind of things that have marked me. Geraint Thomas was my ''hero'' of the tour and I warmed to him far more than I have ever warmed to Froome. City born, regional accent, great humour, and digs deeper than your average Welsh pitman.

Top Bottom