Can you ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
... refuse to give your postcode and address when you are asked it at the check-out in many shops nowadays? I understand they are asking for marketing purposes but why should I tell them my name and address just to buy some batteries or any other goods. It seems to be the norm now wherever you go. What can they say if you say "No, I just want to pay and that's it."

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yes.

Of course you can refuse. And you don't need to give it incase it breaks, proof of purchase is sufficient.
I never give it and I only ever get a polite ok back.

pplpilot

Guru
No, I never give my details. Mrs pplpilot is an expert in these matters and she always quotes the book at them when asked. Some of the stand ups we've had with 'managers' are hilarious, always great entertainment value. The big box shifters seem to be worse, PC world, DFS etc.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Of course you can refuse. Asda sometimes ask for surveying purposes - it's after I've paid so what can they do if I refuse and walk out with my shopping?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I returned a "faulty" item to Aldi last week and the guy had a form to fill out.............he asked for my phone number! When I said "why do you want that" he just said "oh I don't really" and proceeded to issue the refund.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think buying a TV is one of the things that require name and address. (TV licensing)

No, I never give my details. Mrs pplpilot is an expert in these matters and she always quotes the book at them when asked. Some of the stand ups we've had with 'managers' are hilarious, always great entertainment value. The big box shifters seem to be worse, PC world, DFS etc.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As others have said, refuse. What can they do? Not required for guarantees.
ASDA p*ss me off for this when you do their price comparison. I just use a false name, address and email address.

Top Bottom