Canada - recommend me an area to go to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
The west coast north of Vancouver, Whistler and such places.

IncoherentJeff

I was lucky enough to spend 10 days going from Calgary to Vancouver on a coach trip.
Camped in Drumheller & visited the the Tyrrell Museum which ScotiaLass recommended, I agree its great.

Banff national park was my favorite place, Lake Louise is a great view. As for cycling I'd check what the Canadian tourist board recommend as we did pass a few bears and in winter Banff becomes a ski resort, but the scenery is beautiful.

I must go back as it was the NHL salary cap dispute cancelled season when I was there, the UK Elite league is good but I'd like to see top level ice hockey. I'm thinking a motorcycle/cycling tour or a bit of both, so will be intrigued for any feedback after your adventure.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Very glad to read this thread, I'm off to Canada in mid-August for a two week motorbike holiday. We have added in Vancouver island instead of spending two nights in Vancouver just before we leave....

Its going to be action packed...

Vancouver -Kamloops -Mount Robson -Banff -Revelstoke -Ainsworth Hot Springs -Kelowna -Whistler -Vancouver Island, Victoria -Vancouver - UK

Some bicycle info & Routes here from the people were are using to hire our bikes:

https://vancouver.cyclebc.ca/bicycles

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've not been there but my vote would go for Vancouver Island. My brother's family is based in Calgary and used to live close to Banff. They have been on holiday twice to the island with a fair bit of kayaking thrown in. The photos I've seen were beautiful.

snorri

Legendary Member
-Revelstoke
Ah the memories, I spent a night there when crossing the Rockies by bus. Nothing much to see, but it had two pubs, one boasting a stripper, the other live music. I opted for the live music place which only appeared to sell one type of beer but it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had amongst people I'd never met before:smile:.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My Father in law's from Winnipeg, Manitoba, and though I probably wouldn't recommend it over say, BC or Yukon for example, it had a real charm to it. Perhaps coming from the flatlands hereabouts made me feel at home. Out of Winnipeg north is some great country. Empty too.

Other than that the Thousand Islands area of Ontario is superb. Just a small tip though, if on a whim, you decide to cross the US border for say, lunch, and don't fancy spending 3 hours being interrogated by US customs folks, just make sure when they ask you ' where in the US is your destination'? you know exactly where you're headed for, and don't just say, 'oh we thought we'd just find a pub' somewhere. They don't like that!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ontario and the great lakes are superb, and as said, vast areas with few people. Great towns are around the lakes.

Don't drink Labatt 50
Long time since I was there but I was a regular in Montreal (mostly in pubs till the not so small hours - 24 hour breakfast place in the city was awesome). Had some good times there, even lived with a girl for a month.
Seems it's become a decent place for cycling too link
The '76 Olympic stadium should be finished by now. Don't drink Labatt 50, eat the smoked meat :hungry:

Ah the memories, I spent a night there when crossing the Rockies by bus. Nothing much to see, but it had two pubs, one boasting a stripper, the other live music. I opted for the live music place which only appeared to sell one type of beer but it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had amongst people I'd never met before:smile:.
Just think, if you had gone for the other...one Scotsman, one stripper, and potentially more beers for her to forget you ;)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Enjoyed both Montreal and Toronto, and most of the country between there and Michigan. I didn't even need a passport back in the 1990's. I found Montreal more accessible, and Toronto was a bit more spread out . The countryside of Ontario was very nice, lots of little towns along The Queens Highway.

Top Bottom