Canal Restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
They weren't helped much when some thieving toerags broke into the compound and awayed with loads of the recovered bricks. :angry:
They'll really have their work cut out if they want to re-open the entire length of the canal; some later road bridges leave next to no gap above water level (e.g.near Cotgrave) and even send the water through cylindrical culverts, some other sections have been bone dry for decades and will presumably need to be excavated and relined (with clay?). More detailed info on the Grantham Canal Society website.
Much of the canal towpath is well surfaced and sections of it nearer to Nottingham often make up parts of my Vale of Belvoir rides (being a canal, hills are thankfully absent - see sig!). Beyond Harby and towards Grantham the towpath is much grassier and more off-roadish, so I haven't explored those stretches; maybe it's time to engage the granny ring on the tourer and have a look see!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

They weren't helped much when some thieving toerags broke into the compound and awayed with loads of the recovered bricks. :angry:
They'll really have their work cut out if they want to re-open the entire length of the canal; some later road bridges leave next to no gap above water level (e.g.near Cotgrave) and even send the water through cylindrical culverts, some other sections have been bone dry for decades and will presumably need to be excavated and relined (with clay?). More detailed info on the Grantham Canal Society website.
Much of the canal towpath is well surfaced and sections of it nearer to Nottingham often make up parts of my Vale of Belvoir rides (being a canal, hills are thankfully absent - see sig!). Beyond Harby and towards Grantham the towpath is much grassier and more off-roadish, so I haven't explored those stretches; maybe it's time to engage the granny ring on the tourer and have a look see!

Thank for the link Poacher, looks like they are going to have their work cut out to finish it.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I'm actually in two minds about this. It's great to see industrial archaeology restored and brought back into use, but currently the canal is a beautiful meandering wildlife corridor - a very, very long but narrow nature reserve in effect, with a wide variation of habitats depending on the amount of water it retains (as noted above, completely dry in parts). It's been a while since I've ridden along it, maybe I should get my lazy fat lump of a body along it again and take some photos to post on here.....

Top Bottom