Cancellara Descent ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I imagine it's a lesson learned hard and early. Went and saw my first velodrome racing last weekend and even while people were crashing they kept pedaling.

oldroadman

Veteran
Mmmhh so etimes he sticks his leg out in the turns. What's the deal with that, a centre of gravity thing? I know when motorcyclists do that they can their ass off the saddle and put their body I took the turn. I don't stick my leg out in turns but then again I descend like a flaff.
This helps with CoG and combines with pushing the outside pedal down, knee into top tube, which helps "push" round the corner. The other important thing - look where you want to go, not at what you might hit if you overcook the corner, because it's a recipe for doing just that. The bike can lean an awful lot further than you think before it slides out, when centrifugal force overcomes friction (or grip, if you like) when the tyres are being forced into the road by the same force that eventually lets them slide. It's just confidence and bravery...honest. And I've got the scars to prove it!!

mustang1

Guru
This helps with CoG and combines with pushing the outside pedal down, knee into top tube, which helps "push" round the corner. The other important thing - look where you want to go, not at what you might hit if you overcook the corner, because it's a recipe for doing just that. The bike can lean an awful lot further than you think before it slides out, when centrifugal force overcomes friction (or grip, if you like) when the tyres are being forced into the road by the same force that eventually lets them slide. It's just confidence and bravery...honest. And I've got the scars to prove it!!

Ha too funny! Hope you weren't hurt too bad!

I figured it was a C.o.G. thing but then I thought the cyclist should get their ass off the saddle and bring it lower than the saddles height like the motorcyclists do.

Orville

That was an amazing descent. I use it for inspiration when on the trainer and try to match pedal strokes. Can't figure out why I am not losing weight. :smile:

thom

____
Not sure where to put this, but this little trivia fits a little bit here
https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/572334235341733888

Not sure if it's Froome himself... and it's not very efficient way of descending either, but hey, maybe it's these little things like this that can help on his descending worries. :smile:
He says not to try that at home - I'd suggest home is the best place to try it if that's what you're going to do, bike firmly locked on the turbo trainer. It's when you're coming down the Galibier, rounding a bend and encountering a frigging mountain dog, that's when you're best off not doing it.
(Not that I was in the superman position at the time...)

Top Bottom