Cannondale CAAD8 Claris vs CAAD8 Synapse Claris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DickP

Regular
Good morning everyone,

I've been looking to get my first brand new road bike rather than using second hand/cobbled together examples as per the past few years. The bike which has caught my interest is the Cannondale CAAD8 Claris - reviews appear to say good things about this frame in particular and the groupset is apparrantly a decent one without breaking the bank.

Subject to the fit, I would like some information on the normal CAAD8 against the Synapse CAAD8. From my brief reading, it suggests the Synapse is a more relaxed riding position compared to the CAAD8, but is the CAAD8 not already supposed to be quite relaxed anyway? Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Cyclist33

The CAAD8 will be longer in the reach and lower at the front end, I imagine, although the Synapse in the last year or so has been lengthened and lowered I think to make it less dawdly. Certainly when I tested the 2012 version I found it too relaxed for my liking.

I would recommend trying to get Sora gears if poss - one up from Claris and cleaner shifting if well set up (in fact my Soras, set up by the bloke in the local bike shop, are better shifting than the 105s on my other bike). Consider a Giant maybe, I would surmise a Giant Defy would be slightly less racy than a CAAD8 and slightly more so than a Synapse. You get more for your money too, usually, with a Giant than a Cannondale.

Stu

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Thank you for the input. I have had a look at the details on the Giant Defy, and it looks like it would be the Defy 4 which is the closest in spec and is more expensive than the CAAD8 is for the same groupset?

I've also noted the Trek 1.1 C H2 2015 version is similar in spec?

I am trying to stick to the £500 figure as close as possible on this without comprimising too much you see.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do any have a carbon fork, well worth the extra IMO

Ash cycles have older defy models reduced. Similarly Paul's cycles and cannondale

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Hi,

The CAAD8 definitely has carbon forks with the Claris groupset, and the Defy 4 appears to have them as well (but not the Defy 5!). I think the Trek 1.1 2015 features carbon forks too.

I will have a look at what Ash Cycles and Paul Cycles have available.

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Good morning,

Yesterday evening I went to one of the large chain bicycle shops in town. The Cannondale CAAD8 is a very nice bike fit I think, and it is the 56cm that I fit. The only matter was that with the bike still being in its assembled state rather than set up specifically for me, I found myself being pushed forwards by the saddle (which appeared to be slightly nosed up as it ought to be) and putting a bit of weight on the hands. I would like to think this is not an indication that the frame is not of the right sizing and it is merely fine adjustments required, should I go ahead with a CAAD8?

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you actually ride it? If not, go to Evans if they have the bike and use their free test ride facility. Not they should be able to get the saddle level. It may be you need a different length and/or flipped stem

OP
OP
D

DickP

Regular
Hi,

I was not in appropriate attire to do a test ride there and then, and I will say that yes, it was at Evans where I actually went to have a look. My intention is on a return visit to give it a good test ride prior to committing.

jeltz

Veteran
I've just ordered the Synapse Sora Triple and have been doing loads of research about the Synapse and CAAD8 ragnes.

Looking at the Claris model of each the Caad8's have just been reduced by £100 which makes it tempting, however it's more race oriented and are a little lacking in the the lower gears as far as hill climbing goes. Both have 50 and 34 tooth chain rings at the front, the Synapse has an 12-32 on the back while the CAAD8 has 12-25 on the back. So it really depends if you need something bigger than 25 on the back personally I do and I'm in The Mendips which is why I went for the Synapse Sora Triple.

Top Bottom