1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannondale or Specialized or Bianchi

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by stewaran, 23 Jul 2008.

1. stewaran

stewaran New Member

HI All

First post so go easy please!!!

I have recently started commuting by bike (and part train).

I currently do 6 miles each way on an old MTB. I am looking to up my mileage to 15 miles each way and as such get a new road bike.

I have narrowed it down to three bikes approx £600-£700

Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
    Specialized Allez sport
    Bianchi Via Nirone Mirage

All look OK to me, wondering whether anyone had any opinions

Cheers

Stewaran
  2. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

Advert
    If it helps, I've got a Cannondale and it's great.

[Cue stampede of Specialized / Bianchi owners saying same thing]

bc
  3. AndyF

AndyF Active Member

How about a Planet X Team Alu?

Can't fault mine..

Andy
  4. stewaran

stewaran New Member

Thanks, I am limited to Evans Cycles by the company cycle to work scheme
    so not sure if i can get a planet x

ill have a look

I have arranged a test ride this thursday for the ones above, should help i suppose
  5. Maz

Maz Guru

Test ride will definitely help make your mind up. Go for a compact if you never need the 'granny' chainring.

Do Bianchi only make minty green coloured bikes? Tell me it 'aint so. xx(
  6. stewaran

stewaran New Member

sadly i quite like the minty green bike:blush:
  7. Mines's black but I've seen red and blue ones too (and titanium metalic but I don't think that's a true colour)
  8. Phixion

Phixion Well-Known Member

Do compact bikes not have a granny gear or something?
  9. Maz

Maz Guru

I thought compacts only had 2 chainrings...or am I mistaken?
  10. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

TBH, any of those bikes is a little too nice for a 6 mile commute. If it doesn't get nicked, it'll get ruined by rubbish roads, spoiled by mudguards, and the skinny wheels will be uncomfortable. I love my road bike, but I don't often commute on it.

Get one by all means, but get another old hack for the commuting, and keep the road bike for best.

EDIT: Just seen that you want to do 15 miles each way. Makes more sense then, but get something that you can put mudguards and a pannier rack on, or you'll be really uncomfortable in winter.
  11. gbb

gbb Guru

They're all fine bikes Stewaran...look at them all, find the one you like, for the best price and go for it.

As beancounter says...we all got our favourites. Mines the Bianchi...had two with no regrets. Lovely bikes.

TBH, if you're starting to consider specific bikes, you need to start comparing specs..what wheelset ? , carbon rear triangle ? etc etc.
  12. stewaran

stewaran New Member

thanks for all the help guys
  13. stewaran

stewaran New Member

Understand what your saying and before looking into it had set a budget of £400 when i found out i could do cycle to work and get it half price over 12 months decided to go for an upgrade!! as well as new lights helmet etc etc

Also are Blades (mudguards any good
  14. ghitchen

ghitchen Well-Known Member

Stick slick tyres and mudguards on the MTB and (possibly) a rear casette with closer ratios and narrower bars, and use it for the winter / wet summer days, then buy a celeste (minty green!) Bianchi for dry summer days and "proper" rides.
  15. gbb

gbb Guru

Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?

:smile::biggrin::biggrin: ghitchen....I like that.....
  16. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

You can get compact triples aswell as doubles.
    Compact bikes and compact gearing is different. Frames that are compact have a sloping top tube.
    Compact double chain rings have nearly the same range as a tripple would, but you miss out on the granny ring. But, after going into Derbyshire into the hills, i dont think there is a need for a tripple.
    Raceblades arent bd. But they lack the protecting if you go through puddles, the water from the back wheel goes on the seat tube and splashes onto your leg, then down into your shoe. Howeer, i've been out in some heavy heavy rain with lots of standing water and i just kept going. I dont use the front one though, so that doesnt help in keeping my feet dry. If you want to stay completely dry then full mudguards will be better for you.
  17. Young Un

Young Un New Member

i went on the club run last night and there where quite a few big long hills,

only on one of them did i go onto the granny ring on my giant scr2, so i think you could manage. btw i went into the granny ring cus i was stuck behind a slower person and the road wa properly narrow so couldnt overtake.
  18. wlc1

wlc1 New Member

I've got a spec allez and I commute 20 miles each way to work and it's fine. Yea it can get a little uncomfortable every now and then but by the time I'm cycling home I've been up for 16 hours ( I work shifts with long days) sp fatigue has alot to do with it.

I also use the bike for recreational rides so the mileage is climbing ( hence the reason for me trying to persuade the wife to let me have a commute bike and a nice carbon fibre one for the longer fun rides) ..

I say test them all and only you will know whats right for you.
  19. Ignore all the talk about road bikes being unsuitable for commuting because they'll fall apart, who ever says that is talking out of their arse.

10000 miles to date on my De Rosa on Central London's unforgiving streets and I've only had to have one wheel rebuilt (I dented the rim trying to bunny hop a pot hole I only spotted at the last minute).

Treat yourself to the bike you want and get out there and enjoy it. Do what you want to do and ignore everyone else.

(for the record I have no rack/panniers and no mudguards. When it rains I get wet. But, man alive I have fun doing it!!!!)
  20. gbb

gbb Guru

On the subject of mudguards....dont forget riding in the rain is one thing, but winter riding (if you use a good bike) is very damaging.
    Salty crud will get all over your bike, in the mechs, on the frame, finding any little scratches and causing corrosion.
    My original Via Nirone was a summer only bike till last year. Everything was fine, until i started using it in the winter. Next spring i found corrosion around the alloy steerer on the forks. Nothing too bad.....but its there.

If i'd used mudguards...it would have prevented at least some of the problem.