canti or mini-V for rear brake on Roadrat with rack, mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Does anyone know which one or either is least liable to have any fitting issues with the above? I have read some people have had trouble fitting mini-Vs on Roadrats, and I'm worried the cable on cantis might clash with the rack stays (I dunno if this is a noobie question, my bikes all have disc brakes).

Any Roadrat owners have any input or just anyone in general? Here's a couple of pics of the setup, mudguards will be inc:

IMG-20140422-00782_zps29cd88d8.jpg

IMG-20140423-00786_zps1626ec24.jpg

A quick google says it's been done a fair bit already, but I'd be interested on any opinions on the performance of one vs the other also - I'll be running them with Tiagra STIs. FWIW I'll be running a disc brake up the front, so I guess it'll be mostly backup in the stopping scheme of things.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It seems to me with the right hanger a canti cable shouldn't foul the rack stays. It is another thing to pick and acquire though.

Factors that might also sway your decision are that you can get more stopping power from mini-V intrinsically but it will need tighter pad/rim clearance, so your rear wheel needs to be true, and the brake cable outer of good quality. Most canti designs are more forgiving that way, and will give you better guard and tyre clearance.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays has a Roadrat and rack, but he has disk brakes fitted, given that the rest of your bikes have disk brakes why don't you want them on this one?

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
It seems to me with the right hanger a canti cable shouldn't foul the rack stays. It is another thing to pick and acquire though.

Factors that might also sway your decision are that you can get more stopping power from mini-V intrinsically but it will need tighter pad/rim clearance, so your rear wheel needs to be true, and the brake cable outer of good quality. Most canti designs are more forgiving that way, and will give you better guard and tyre clearance.

Cheers, I decided to plump for some Avid Shorty cantis in the end. The wheel is true (it was very kindly built by RRSODL on this forum), but I read a couple of posts on other forums that suggested the setup was somewhat temperemental (as you say, clearance, plus the pads hitting the seatstays when try to remove the wheel). Also, googled this chap who used cantis + rack.

Mr Summerdays has a Roadrat and rack, but he has disk brakes fitted, given that the rest of your bikes have disk brakes why don't you want them on this one?

Has your OH got a newer RR frame? They have the disc mount on the chainstay which makes mounting easy. It's a long story, but I have a nice non-disc wheel freed up from another project that I ran out of cash/patience for halfway thru. It makes fitting a rack on the RR easier (BB7 calipers in particular are PITA to get around) so natural to use the wheel on that, sell of all the other bits from the failed project and fit some rim brakes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays bike must be at least 4 years old as he hasn't commuted on it for at least the last two. The front disk is set up strangely on the Roadrat as it's mounted the opposite side to what looks normal (well to me it looks weird). His disk brakes are Shimano but he didn't like them as much as the Avid ones he had on a previous bike.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Oh well for closure and reference:

IMG-20140514-00808_zpsecce1a09.jpg

2 out of the 3 cables fitted fine. Braking is okay, but like I say - there's BB7 disc up-front so mostly for backup.

Top Bottom