Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Six year warranty isn't bad compared to many Eurpoean manufacturers. Only Trek and Specialized offer lifetime. Bianchi are about 3 years with shocking customer service.
It is something to consider when spending such amounts of cash, although there is obviously a price premium for lifetime warranties.

goody

Veteran
Van Nicholas...but also shocking service unfortunately.

A friend had to wait nine months for a replacement frame after his cracked. (he'd had it seven years)

michaelcycle

Genesis and Merida also do lifetime frame warranties IIRC.

I think Canyon make terrific bikes though although I am a bit wary of how well they would sort it if things all went a bit Pete Tong...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A friend had to wait nine months for a replacement frame after his cracked. (he'd had it seven years)

A friend of mine also had a cracked frame and had all sorts of issues with obtaining a replacement.
With my issue at least it was sorted within 2 weeks.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You can arrange to test ride them before you buy. A guy from my club did this and went to a designated supplier shop to collect the test bikes. I think it may have been Sigma Sport in Kingston but could be wrong. He ordered the Ultmate SLX too and they are lovely bikes. I know it's little consolation for you, Gaz but may help others who are considering a Canyon?

Reactions: gaz

VamP

Banned
Trying to get in touch with Canyon now to get it swapped out and might try and upgrade the seat post to their fancy one.

Be aware the fancy one (VCLS 2.0, which is great BTW) has a specific saddle rail fitment system, which doesn't deal well with saddles that do not have round rails. Canyon make an oval rail fitment adaptor (you have to ask for it) but even that failed to cope with my favourite saddle (Ritchey Streem V2 Carbon).

They are great bikes.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can arrange to test ride them before you buy. A guy from my club did this and went to a designated supplier shop to collect the test bikes. I think it may have been Sigma Sport in Kingston but could be wrong. He ordered the Ultmate SLX too and they are lovely bikes. I know it's little consolation for you, Gaz but may help others who are considering a Canyon?
RAAAAAGE!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can't imagine it being too far out as the seat tube angle is usually 73 or 74 degrees so shouldn't put your knee/axel alignment out. Doesn't matter if you got a smaller frame, as the seat height will be the same, but there may be a slight change in seat tube angle, but not enough to suddenly make it fit.

It looks the right size to me. Have you run a line down from the front of your knee to see where it intersects the axel ? (piece of string with a weight on end) Starting rule is directly over axel, but it's no "be all and end all" as we are all different sizes.
From eye balling it ( I'll try the standard string and weight tonight) my knee is behind the axle by at least 1cm and my left knee has been giving me some jip since riding it, which isn't something I experience on my other bikes.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Inline seatpost?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the saddle height too.

Looking at your initial photo's, the saddle is exactly where I would have it. I have seat posts with setback, and still run the saddle near to the rear limits - which means if a line is drawn up the middle of the seat post, it very nearly intersects the saddle bang in the middle.

Have you got another bike to check reach as well. PS It's always worth having various measurements written down.

Certainly double check saddle height as that's often the culprit

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Bike looks great and you could easily shed 300g for not a lot of money and drop it to the UCI min weight limit just as an act of "because I can".

Six year warranty isn't bad compared to many Eurpoean manufacturers. Only Trek and Specialized offer lifetime. Bianchi are about 3 years with shocking customer service.

Really? I have 2 clubmates who have had Bianchi's replaced no bother, both were cracked carbon frames.

Cannondale also give lifetime warranty :smile:

VamP

Banned
Bike looks great and you could easily shed 300g for not a lot of money and drop it to the UCI min weight limit just as an act of "because I can".

I have the 2011 model (frame at 910g versus the current model at 790g) and it sits bang on the UCI weight limit with pedals, with Centaur and Gigantex tubs. This one would easily go 6.5kgs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have the 2011 model (frame at 910g versus the current model at 790g) and it sits bang on the UCI weight limit with pedals, with Centaur and Gigantex tubs. This one would easily go 6.5kgs.

Yes it probably would, but I am talking about spending ~£50, £100 max.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Lightweight inner tubes £15-20, makes a difference, lightweight skewers £15-20, don't make much difference but, like I said, this is an exercise in because you can :P That will probably save about 150-200g. Not sure what saddle is on there? But a stock saddle is usually a good place to save 100g or more. Can get a very light all carbon saddle on eBay for £30-40 or so, I wouldn't readily trust it for every day use and abuse, but for Hill Climbs or just for the sake of saying you can, why not.

Could also hacksaw off any excess seatpost, just make sure to maintain enough to meet the minimum insertion amount, i.e. if the min insertion is marked as 6cm make sure at least that much of the post will still be in the frame once you chop it. On many seatposts this is encouraged by the manufacturer and doesn't void the warranty.

None of this stuff, bar maybe the inner tubes will have a perceptible performance benefit except on the steepest of balls out hill climbs, it is just fun :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom