Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Gaz had you asked about a swap? I was wondering how solid the 30 day thing was with a bike that had been ridden.

I emailed and they won't sell the frame I like separately.
Yup, 30 days. Although i'm not sure if that is from delivery or order date.

Big A

30 days is from delivery.

just ordered the CF SLX 7 Di2

goody

Veteran
Must stop reading about people getting new bikes. Must stop reading about people getting new bikes.Must stop reading about people getting new bikes.
Must stop thinking of getting a new bike.Must stop thinking of getting a new bike.Must stop thinking of getting a new bike.Must stop thinking of getting a new bike.

timGhaywire

I have the 2011 model (frame at 910g versus the current model at 790g) and it sits bang on the UCI weight limit with pedals, with Centaur and Gigantex tubs. This one would easily go 6.5kgs.
Hi I'm very new to this, so I am hoping you could please help me out. I am looking at buying the 2011 cf slx frame. I'm over the budget with the frame itself so I want to know how to fit my campa centaur groupset on it, instead of the usual Dura Ace or whichever is usually common on these frames. I was told it is fully possible and that it is just a matter of making my ultra torque centaur crankset fit the right BB, that fits the ultimate cf slx. Reading your post I thought I would politely ask you if you know what BB the 2011 cf slx has? I know it's a press-fit BB right? I would just like to know the measurements if possible, is it a 68mm? Or even better find out what the actual BB I need to get and anything else I'd need to make it work with centaur. I have contacted campa but they are really slow with replies and not very helpful at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VamP

Banned
Hi I'm very new to this, so I am hoping you could please help me out. I am looking at buying the 2011 cf slx frame. I'm over the budget with the frame itself so I want to know how to fit my campa centaur groupset on it, instead of the usual Dura Ace or whichever is usually common on these frames. I was told it is fully possible and that it is just a matter of making my ultra torque centaur crankset fit the right BB, that fits the ultimate cf slx. Reading your post I thought I would politely ask you if you know what BB the 2011 cf slx has? I know it's a press-fit BB right? I would just like to know the measurements if possible, is it a 68mm? Or even better find out what the actual BB I need to get and anything else I'd need to make it work with centaur. I have contacted campa but they are really slow with replies and not very helpful at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 2011 is a 68mm BSA threaded BB not press-fit. 68mm Power Torque or Ultra torque cups will work fine.

I rode mine with PT cups for 4k miles, but changed to DA chainset as I got fed up with the short life I was getting from PT. The Centaur chainset is really good though, it's the stupid BB design that lets it down. Maybe try UT, that is supposed to be a bit more durable.

Enjoy your Ultimate, it's a fabulous frame.

timGhaywire

The 2011 is a 68mm BSA threaded BB not press-fit. 68mm Power Torque or Ultra torque cups will work fine.

I rode mine with PT cups for 4k miles, but changed to DA chainset as I got fed up with the short life I was getting from PT. The Centaur chainset is really good though, it's the stupid BB design that lets it down. Maybe try UT, that is supposed to be a bit more durable.

Enjoy your Ultimate, it's a fabulous frame.

Thanks so much for such a fast reply. A friend of mine is selling the 2011 ultimate cf sx frame in a truly immaculate condition for £400. Is that a fair price? I feel I can't pass on that since I have just broken my Wilier frame and everyone is telling me how good these canyon frames are and there's also never any around to buy, at least not second hand ones which are sadly the only thing I can afford haha. I am also getting desperate to get back in the saddle asap. So back to the point and to make sure I understand what's been said. I will fit the centaur on to the Ultimate without any major problems, I just need the 68mm PT or UT cups for the BB yes? I apologise for any inconvenience and thanks again for your help.

Btw I'm from slovenia, a big day today for the cycling sport over here with Mohoric's win :smile:

VamP

Banned
Thanks so much for such a fast reply. A friend of mine is selling the 2011 ultimate cf sx frame in a truly immaculate condition for £400. Is that a fair price? I feel I can't pass on that since I have just broken my Wilier frame and everyone is telling me how good these canyon frames are and there's also never any around to buy, at least not second hand ones which are sadly the only thing I can afford haha. I am also getting desperate to get back in the saddle asap. So back to the point and to make sure I understand what's been said. I will fit the centaur on to the Ultimate without any major problems, I just need the 68mm PT or UT cups for the BB yes? I apologise for any inconvenience and thanks again for your help.

Btw I'm from slovenia, a big day today for the cycling sport over here with Mohoric's win :smile:

Great ride by Mohoric today! Congrats.

At £400 you have a bargain. Just check for damage as always.

You'll have no problems fitting 68mm UT or PT cups. Just need the right Campag tools, or get the LBS to do it.

I have built up my 2011 size 58 to UCI weight limit with pedals without spending silly money, so you should be able to get close too, assuming you have reasonably light wheels.

timGhaywire

Great ride by Mohoric today! Congrats.

At £400 you have a bargain. Just check for damage as always.

You'll have no problems fitting 68mm UT or PT cups. Just need the right Campag tools, or get the LBS to do it.

I have built up my 2011 size 58 to UCI weight limit with pedals without spending silly money, so you should be able to get close too, assuming you have reasonably light wheels.

I will check the frame thoroughly indeed, even though I do trust the guy, but you never know. That's great news, I'm relieved to know it will fit just fine. I'm off to look at and most probably buy the frame tomorrow and drop it off together with my old bike at the LBS to get everything swapped and fitted.
That's an amazingly low weight for a 58! Mine will be heavier, getting a size 62 because I'm 6'2 and have fairly long legs, canyon's online measurement system recommended 60, do you reckon that might turn out to be a problem? Would a shorter stem help in that case? Sorry for all these questions, I really do appreciate your help.
I have zonda wheels, not the best but still lighter than some stock wheels I suppose. As long as it's under 8kg I'll be happy, I need to shed a few kgs on my body first, which is a lot cheaper for sure haha.

VamP

Banned
I'm 6'1'' and the 58 is absolutely spot on for me, so I would be concerned the 62 might be too big. How tall is your friend?

timGhaywire

He's actually half an inch shorter than me, shorter inseam as well. Should I still reconsider buying it because of the size?

timGhaywire

It's a tough call. Is it still built up, so you could have a sit on it and see where you're at?

Yes, I've arranged to go and try it out in a couple of hours. I am a bit sceptical now with the size, so I will make absolutely sure it's not too big for me, before I go for it. No point in forcefully buying it, if it might give me problems and cause discomfort and potential injury further down the line.

timGhaywire

Just an update. The frame was too big indeed, to the point where a shorter stem or a different set up wouldn't make much difference at all, so I passed on it. Got a 4 year old pinarello FP3 directly from my LBS instead. Hope I won't regret it. But nevertheless, thanks so much for your assistance.

VamP

Banned
Just an update. The frame was too big indeed, to the point where a shorter stem or a different set up wouldn't make much difference at all, so I passed on it. Got a 4 year old pinarello FP3 directly from my LBS instead. Hope I won't regret it. But nevertheless, thanks so much for your assistance.

Good decision. Wrong size is wrong size. Best of luck with the Piña.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
UPDATE:
Had my bike fitting. Found out my hamstrings are way too tight, affecting my flexibility and causing me back pain whilst on the bike. So I've had to go with a gentle setup for now until I loosen those hamstrings.
I felt a bit out stretched on the bike, and I was, the bike came with a 120mm stem, and at present I need around a 90mm stem. I purchased one but it was the wrong size, canyon has a 1 1/8th steerer tube :O So currently waiting for canyon to get back to me on that and a few other things. But looks like the frame size is right and one that I can 'grow' into after sorting out my flexibility issues.

Top Bottom