Car bike rack advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi all,
I would like to purchase a car bike rack but I would like to ask a few questions first please:
1) Are there bike racks purposely built for different manufacturer's cars (i.e. Ford Fiesta, BMW 3 series), or are racks purposely built on the size of the car (i.e. a generic one for small cars, one for medium cars, and so on), or are they built depending on if it's a hatchback or saloon?

2) Overall which is better a rack attached to the boot or one on the roof? On the boot may give you less rear-view visibility but on the roof may get you nervous with some low-lying bridges.

3) I would only be carring two bikes but is it worth getting a three bike rack for the extra strength?

4) Any brands to stay away from? I see Halfords do racks, anyone had any problems with them? Just don't want a component snapping, bike falling and causing a crash?

5) Which of these two is a better design (better quality)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161684335388?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151661909252?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The rack needs to be suited for a Focus and an Auris.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
1. Yes and yes.

2. Roof is more secure, but brings access problems to the short or leg or weak of bicep. The ones that strap to the tailgate are frightening, as in many they have to test on the tailgate glass (despite the instructions invariably warning users not to do it), and the glass does break. First dose of sunny weather and my colleagues are guaranteed to be retrieving bikes from the carriageway because the glass broke.

3. No.

4. Even the cheap stuff, provided its from a well known source, should be safe and secure. Whether it will last 5 minutes is another matter.

5. Neither, as it rests on the glass, although your Car is different so it might not do so. Both links appear to show the same product...?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a pair of Thule 591 roof mounts. My answers may be coloured by the fact that I don't know that much about other mounts.

Are they car specific: The bike carriers are not car specific. They attach to roof bars, and the roof bars are car-specific. Once you have your bars fitted you can attach all kinds of mounts.

Roof or back door? Roof every time for me. Back door ones give me the horrors, although I've never owned one and I'm sure there are many satisfied customers out there, but I'm not one of them. Best of all is towball-mounted, which is both secure and out of the way. I don't have one but have a mate who does. Unfortunately if you don't have a towball on your car, then it's also a very expensive option. And it's a bit of a fag messing around with the additional number plate/lights that you have to fit once the bikes are on. And if you actually do want to tow something, you can't carry the bikes at the same time (unless they are in the thing you are towing).

Get a 3 bike rack? Well, with the Thule system you buy the racks separately so you'd just have a 3rd one that you didn't use. So no.

Can't answer your other questions, because my experience is only with the Thule roof racks and (indirectly) with towball mounts.

I got mine from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ which may be a good site to look at. No complaints about them from me.

DRHysted

Guru
Personally I'd go roof mount, or Towball mount. I'd never go for one that straps onto the tailgate. Many years ago I had the straps release (slightly) on a tailgate model, the bikes moved fractionally, but it made one heck of a noise and scared me rotten. I came back from that holiday with a roof mounted system.

I have Thule 591 on the roof for when I'm towing, and a Buzz towball mount for when I'm not.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have two hatchbacks. Do you need the rear seats? My bikes go in the boot, seats down. No chance of falling off, breaking the rear screen, affecting aerodynamics or fuel consumption. And rather harder to steal :smile: I have indeed got 3 adults, luggage and a bike in my car. Might have managed two bikes with imagination. Granted it's an estate albeit a smallish fabia shaped one

User269

If you're sure there's not enough space to put the bikes (wheels off) inside the car, by all means consider a rear mounted rack. We used to fill the boot of our Focus Estate with 2 bikes and their wheels, and still had space for a few other items. Only 2 of us, so we can use the back seat for anything else.

I've never seen a make/model specific one, but in my experience the vehicle will be more stable and you'll get better mpg with one, compared to a roof mount. We used Thule roof bars for many years, but it was always a pain keeping an eye out due to our now 2.75m height, especially using peages on French autoroutes. But, rear mounts will probably obscure your reg. plate and lights, which is illegal in addition to being a pain as nobody will notice that you're indicating, braking etc. Lighting/reg plate boards, including car electric sockets, will add to the cost.

For long distance journeys with 2 bikes across France, Spain, & Italy we've preferred in the last few years to use a Thule towball mounted rack, which includes the lights and reg plate, and is sooo coool 'cos you can easily tilt it and access the boot. We've got one of these.

As you want a bike rack for your Auris and Focus, a rear mount rack makes economical sense, but still leaves the problem of obscured reg. plate & lights, and like drago, I don't trust them. You may find roofbars and cycle carriers that fit both your cars. +1 on Dogtrousers recommendation of the roofbox website.

If you only wanted the carrier for one car, I would say it's worth paying for a towbar and electrics, and a towbar mounted rack such as the Thule.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
+2 for roofbox.co.uk They do some roofbars and carrier package deals. I got aluminium roofbars and 2x Thule 532 carriers for around £200. If I change car, I can buy a new fitting kit for the roofbars and that's it. I have a coupe so a rear mounted rack wasn't an option. My mate has one for his hatchback and although it's much quicker to take on and off, it obscures the number plate and lights. Bikes can clash together causing damage also.

Debade

Über Member
1. I learned that some hitch racks do not work on all cars. It was the shape of the back of the car that did not allow enough clearance between the pedal and the boot. I tried two racks before finding the one that worked on my car.
2. It is a bad idea to fix this problem with an extension as it weakens the rack. I am sure people do i

screenman

Legendary Member
Being in the motor trade and doing a lot of work for body shops I get too see the damage done by loose objects in the case of a collision. Please be careful of seats folded and bikes in the back, because they may not stay there should there be a prang. Roof or towball for me, more often as I have an estate they are put in their bags in the boot are with the seats up.

Penmere

If you use a rear mounted carrier you should use a light board. In the past it cost me about £20 to have the electrics fitted but apparently, newer cars require some sort of relay and I was quoted £80 this time so I went with the roof option. I have a Thule 532, very pleased with it

G-Zero

Über Member
If you use a rear mounted carrier you should use a light board. In the past it cost me about £20 to have the electrics fitted but apparently, newer cars require some sort of relay and I was quoted £80 this time so I went with the roof option. I have a Thule 532, very pleased with it

Only required if the bikes obscure the car lights and registration plate.... Some models carry the bikes in a position higher than the lights and reg plate.

My preference is roof mounted.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thank you for your responses.
Before posting this question I was going to get a rear mounted rack but hearing the negative comments I may go for a roof rack one as you guys suggest that more. I'm just a bit worried I'd be driving along on a country road and reach a low lying bridge, then I'd be going oops.
Oh wait, unless there is a decent rear mounted rack - it may cost more but it is a secure rear rack.

G-Zero

Über Member
Thank you for your responses.
Before posting this question I was going to get a rear mounted rack but hearing the negative comments I may go for a roof rack one as you guys suggest that more. I'm just a bit worried I'd be driving along on a country road and reach a low lying bridge, then I'd be going oops.
Oh wait, unless there is a decent rear mounted rack - it may cost more but it is a secure rear rack.

I wouldn't worry about the height of your bikes on the roof with regard to bridges.

The lowest an unmarked bridge can be is 16' 6" and anything lower than that has to be clearly marked with its height.

If you are worried, it's easy to measure the height of your car roof rack by putting a piece of wood across them and measuring down to the ground, then measure your tallest bike, add the figures together and stick the height on your dashboard.

I had to do something similar with my motorhome when carrying my sea kayak and roof box (3.1 metres)

Hi,

Roof bars are specific to the car unless your lucky like me and can use universal bars because of roof railings running either side of the car to allow a set of bars to be added.

I also use the exodus bike carriers from Halfords, the instructions are rubbish but the carrier is good quality, takes a variety of size bikes (down to 20 inch) and one locked in place the bikes are secure (I hung off one and it did not move and inch).

Check out go outdoors and motor factor places as they some times do good deals on bars

Top Bottom