Car driver gets away with reduced sentence after causing ABH...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I think the British justice system is failing in all sorts of crimes from shop lifting to murder.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What's even worse is the moron who posted as "Paul Mcknockiter", and clearly didn't bother hiding his name either, because there are Disqus, Facebook and Twitter profiles under that name giving his location as the UK. Apparently he believes the motorist did a good thing!

What's even worse is the moron who posted as "Paul Mcknockiter", and clearly didn't bother hiding his name either, because there are Disqus, Facebook and Twitter profiles under that name giving his location as the UK. Apparently he believes the motorist did a good thing!

Where?

Quick note - I do not agree with the guidelines that the CPS follow, but mention them here to perhaps give light to the 'why' aspect of this case.

It doesn't mention what injuries were sustained by the cyclist, unless I'm missing it? This makes me presume they were relatively minor. This would have meant that if charged with an assault, CPS rules would have meant they could only be charged with the lowest level assault of Section 39, or battery. The sentencing for this would have likely resulted in a similar level of fine, with imprisonment very unlikely indeed. By charging with the driving offence at least the driver could get points (though personally I think a ban would have been in order, or at least 11 points so one more minor transgression led to a ban).

As I said, I don't agree with the practice but suspect that's why he was charged the way he was.

My personal opinion is that Numbnuts has it spot on. Yes, the justice system is falling cyclists - however this isn't due to any targeted issues with cycling, it's a by product of the fact that the justice system (in terms of sentences imposed) is falling victims across the whole spectrum of offences.

jarlrmai

Veteran
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/motorcyclist-who-killed-mum-of-two-sandra-3330682

This tragic story is interesting to me because it presents an interesting view on context.

This story is interesting to me, it happened on road that I rode down everyday for 3 years for work, the woman was on a bicycle you can probably read the story 3 times and miss that fact as this is barely mentioned on in the story, no "The cyclist this" no "she was not wearing a helmet" no comments about road tax etc.

Rage at the length of the sentence is expressed, quite understandably 4 years is a joke.

However I often wonder if this had been me, and the person that killed me was not a "scumbag on scrambler" but the elderly man in a jag who came within inches of me at 50mph near this very spot, how differently this story might have written and commented upon.

Alun

Guru
By charging with the driving offence at least the driver could get points (though personally I think a ban would have been in order, or at least 11 points so one more minor transgression led to a ban).
You're joking aren't you?
http://road.cc/content/news/44102-c...who-accrue-12-or-more-penalty-points-continue
Unless, of course things have changed in the last couple of years.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/motorcyclist-who-killed-mum-of-two-sandra-3330682

This tragic story is interesting to me because it presents an interesting view on context.

This story is interesting to me, it happened on road that I rode down everyday for 3 years for work, the woman was on a bicycle you can probably read the story 3 times and miss that fact as this is barely mentioned on in the story, no "The cyclist this" no "she was not wearing a helmet" no comments about road tax etc.
I missed that, probably because I was taken by the irony of the misspelling of "dual".

Top Bottom