Car hire @ Alicante airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used carjet many times no issue. One point is that the car hire collection is often a bus ride away abd can add 30 mins to collection. Just check if that is an issue.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We used one right at the airport for 12 of us on a golf hol, had no probs , but I got proper foooked over in ibiza.
english speaking car hire man sundenly no understandy and took about £70 in extra payment..

If I hire anything now I check all the small print and the damage clauses..and take photos before you drive off.

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
My brother in law sorted out a transit mini bus type thing when we were on a family holiday a few years back. Can't remember the name of the company but it was only a very short trip from the airport. ie a few mins.

The cost was reasonable from what I recall and had no issues at all with them.

Yes. They have good rates and I've had a few companies and never an issue. The car rental companies probably care more about keeping good relations with the broker then with an individual.

I've had about 5 cars but my parents have a hiuse out there and probably 30+ withiut issue.

The only times ive ever had dodgy bills and ripoff petrol readings has been with hertz and europcar in other countries.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a collision damage excess waiver before you go. Excesses in Europe for even a minor scratch can ge extortionate. Use a broker rather than the carhire company's version. Money saving expert should have some tips

If booking before you go, check you can't route through Quidco for some cashback

I've used holiday autos without issue before

Slioch

Guru
I've booked through Economycarrentals.com maybe 10 times now without any issues, in Greece, Portugal and Spain. Very reasonably priced and no hidden extras (e.g. full collision damage waiver is included in the hire price).

On a couple of occasions pick-up and drop-off has been off-airport, but never too far away and courtesy buses were available to get you there & back

MarkF

Guru
In Spain, they are all out to shaft you, one way or another, the initial hire cost you sign up for (& provide your CC details) is in reality your entrance fee to scam-a-rama. I've been shafted by every single company that I've used, apart from Helle Holis and tbh, I think that was luck.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've hired cars in Spain and Italy through Europcar... never had any issues or ripoffs.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've hired cars in Spain and Italy through Europcar... never had any issues or ripoffs.
I am still fighting with Europcar Italy after having a car last summer. Went out to the car one morning towards the end of the holiday to find the windscreen had cracked during the night. From what I can gather it was a much cooler night than the area had had for some months and I think the stone chip that caused the crack was pre-existing as IME stone chips to a windscreen usually sound like you have been shot and result in me anxiously staring at the windscreen for the next few days and I never heard one while we had the car. Anyway, this is irrelevant as I accept the crack occurred while the car was in my possession.

On returning the car we had to wait in a horrendously slow moving queue to check it back in and on getting to the front the attendant simply took our keys and popped them in the quick drop slot and said good day before turning to serve the next customer. A few days later a debit of around £190 sterling was taken from the credit card. This stung a bit but hey-ho, it was a good holiday which would have been seriously compromised if we hadn't had the car.

A few months later an invoice of 290Eu for a replacement windscreen dropped through the letterbox. WTF! There was no contact phone number on it, only bank details to make payment and an email address to send confirmation once payment was made. I sent emails querying the invoice but they never replied and eventually instructed a debt recovery firm in Southern Ireland to chase the 'debt'. The Debt firm are obviously a bit uncooperative as they have heard it all before but I still don't have any contact details for Europcar Italy. The Uk arm have given me a customer services number for the Italian operation but this goes to an answer phone and despite leaving messages I have also had no reply from this.....

DON'T trust any of them. If a big firm like Europcar can behave like this then any of them can and will stiff you at the first opportunity.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go have a holiday in the US. I've hired cars over there a dozen times and never an issue ;) (I wouldn't use Thrifty if an alternative available only because their cars are a bit leggy, but still not a problem)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I am still fighting with Europcar Italy after having a car last summer. Went out to the car one morning towards the end of the holiday to find the windscreen had cracked during the night. From what I can gather it was a much cooler night than the area had had for some months and I think the stone chip that caused the crack was pre-existing as IME stone chips to a windscreen usually sound like you have been shot and result in me anxiously staring at the windscreen for the next few days and I never heard one while we had the car. Anyway, this is irrelevant as I accept the crack occurred while the car was in my possession.

On returning the car we had to wait in a horrendously slow moving queue to check it back in and on getting to the front the attendant simply took our keys and popped them in the quick drop slot and said good day before turning to serve the next customer. A few days later a debit of around £190 sterling was taken from the credit card. This stung a bit but hey-ho, it was a good holiday which would have been seriously compromised if we hadn't had the car.

A few months later an invoice of 290Eu for a replacement windscreen dropped through the letterbox. WTF! There was no contact phone number on it, only bank details to make payment and an email address to send confirmation once payment was made. I sent emails querying the invoice but they never replied and eventually instructed a debt recovery firm in Southern Ireland to chase the 'debt'. The Debt firm are obviously a bit uncooperative as they have heard it all before but I still don't have any contact details for Europcar Italy. The Uk arm have given me a customer services number for the Italian operation but this goes to an answer phone and despite leaving messages I have also had no reply from this.....

DON'T trust any of them. If a big firm like Europcar can behave like this then any of them can and will stiff you at the first opportunity.
That's unfortunate :sad:... guess I've been lucky then :smile:

Top Bottom