Car hit by cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, 4000km of riding since I started last year and I had my first proper close encounter last night. A nice gentlemen in a Polo decided to turn left at a crossroads then pull a U-ey and actually try to turn right...without looking or indicating. I had nowhere to go so we had an 'encounter'. Bike is fine, I'm bruised and grazed (but ok...just don't make me laugh or sneeze) and his door is now suitably remodelled.

Plenty of witnesses and the guy was very apologetic. He said he was "distracted by a call from the hospital", what irony! Fortunately I hit at quite a shallow angle which helped. Lots of support from some passing cyclists and a pedestrian, sorry I didn't get all your names guys but your concern was really appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Full of excuses aren't they ! SMIDSY seems to pass all guilt/fault.

Glad it's not worse. Just contact his insurance company so he feels the hit. They need to know he has hit someone. Even if there is no claim...

OP
OP
Sbudge

Sbudge

Cyclist

Glad it's not worse. Just contact his insurance company so he feels the hit. They need to know he has hit someone. Even if there is no claim...

Good point, thanks. Yes, I was pretty lucky. He didn't try to dodge any guilt at least and was genuinely concerned about me. We all make mistakes and an insurance reminder will hopefully reinforce the need to LOOK next time. The lesson for me, and I suspect others, is to take your time after an accident. My very post-war English instincts were to brush myself down and move on as quickly as practical. Fortunately there were too many people offering their details as witnesses and concerns. I bet if it was just the two of us I'd have ridden off straight away.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Is said driver “obliged” to give you their insurance details if there in no claim and if they don't do you notify the police

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Glad you're fairly OK.
As others have said, report it.

BTW.They title of the thread should be the other way round IMHO

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is said driver “obliged” to give you their insurance details if there in no claim and if they don't do you notify the police

You don't get details now. The driver never gave me his details. All I was told by the Police was it was "Admiral". My solicitor did the rest. I even texted the driver from hospital - still didn't get the details.

OP
OP
Sbudge

Sbudge

Cyclist
Glad you're fairly OK.
As others have said, report it.

BTW.They title of the thread should be the other way round IMHO

It certainly *felt* like I hit him, irrespective of blame, so I thought the title might draw a (grim) smile. Plenty of folk have had far tougher and ill-tempered experiences so an accident where everyone was civil and respectful (and not seriously hurt) seemed like a nice change.

Top Bottom