1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbolite 103

Discussion in 'Technical Know How' started by colcazal, 30 Mar 2008.

1. colcazal

colcazal New Member

Hi,

Just bought an old peugeot. Just starting to get into cycling. Does anyone know if a Carbolite 103 is a decent frame that would be worth upgrading? The frame is in good nick (not top end) with only a few chips etc.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers,

Col
  2. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Advert
    Well if its steel you should be good for years !
  3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Veteran

Carbolite 103 was Peugeots attempt to make cheap bike frames out of pig iron. There were shedloads of them around during the eighties, retailing at just over £100 and sporting strictly bottom end all steel componants. Most common colours were blue or Mauve.

Nothing wrong with them as a runround, but definately not to be regarded as a classic or something worth spending money on.
  4. colcazal

colcazal New Member

Excellent thanks for that. I will keep it running only and start building a bike of my own.

Ta

Col
  5. I had a 1980-vintage Peugeot Carbolite bike (remember it as 101, not 103 but dunno...) and one thing it was not was light.

Particularly as it had heavy metal mudguards and rack actually welded (not bolted !) on, plus steel-rim 36-spoke 27¼ wheels.

I bought it secondhand for £30 or so, used it as a commuter-cum-training bike, so the fact it weighed a ton wasn't a handicap and and it looked so old-fashioned as to be unappealing to thieves.

Eventually the bottom bracket gave up and was so solidly seized/rusted-in I couldn't get it out, so it went off to the tip.

Went well enough before that, but not a 'keeper'.
  6. colcazal

colcazal New Member

No mud guards present.

Checked other components. Got Weimann brakes and suret gearing all original and seem to be alloy of sorts. Steel wheels right enough!!

Not fussed anyhow. Will defo start my own bike. The pug will do to train on. I am just pleased that I have a road bike to train with.

Cheers,

Col
  7. BrumJim

BrumJim Ünder Member

Sounds very familiar. I have exactly the same, but with alloy wheels scavenged from the last bike (which I broke), along with the 6 speed rear block and chain.

Which is why I am going to the bike shop tomorrow to order a new one.
  8. tyred

tyred Veteran

Sounds like my "new" bike. Not light but still nice enough to ride. Comfortable, which means everything on the poorly surfaced roads 'round my parts.
  9. TomBrooklyn

TomBrooklyn New Member

I got a blue one with Weinmann 730 brakes, Huret 1484 shifters, Sachs-Huret derailers. It came with a steel handlebar and steel 36 spoke rims. It has cotterless aluminum cranks but the chainwheel looks like stamped steel.

I paid $10 for it. It's heavy, but so am I, and I ride with a rack and a trunk or panniers anyway.
  10. Zoiders

Zoiders Guest

Good luck with the rear hub.

Pug liked using the "Heliomatic" hub made in France, it uses a freehub that engages with helical splines, it's a very delicate system.

Spares aren't that common.