Carrera Subway 1 Mens Hybrid Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Could someone tell me the weight of this bike and explain if this is a good bike for the price. This will be my first mountain bike. Carrera Subway 1 Mens Hybrid Bike (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2015).

Thanks in advance.

Can't tell you the weight, but the bike has a rigid fork which is good - lighter and better all round than a cheap suspension fork.

The Carrera's components are budget, which you would expect, but several of the bits are from decent brands, which is better than some of the 'no name' stuff from China.

Your link comes up for me at under £200 - you won't get a better bike for that money.

The likes of Evans offer similar bikes for similar money, but if you like the Carrera and it fits, there's no need to look any further.

vickster

Legendary Member
Previous subway models have specified the weight and have been 14kg or thereabouts, not bad for a bike of that price. It has a pretty chunky frame. Go to Halfords, pick one up, see if you can try it out and then decide. Some Halfords stores allow testrides

Get one,use it for a bit and then convert it to look awesome like this;

drop_bar_mtb.jpg

Got one 5 years ago and still going strong. I fitted M+ tyres, mudguards and otherwise pretty much left its kit alone. It is my go-to daily bike and routinely takes me on roads and through parks on rides of about 10 miles. I don't find the weight a problem and tackle hills of moderate duration on it without dropping down every gear. I'm heading for 60 and haven't any intention of replacing it with something else while it continues to make me smile every time I go out in it.

(No disc brakes on mine when I bought it back in 2011 - that's a more recent thing on the Subway 1 I think).

OP
OP
I

immi0001

Can't tell you the weight, but the bike has a rigid fork which is good - lighter and better all round than a cheap suspension fork.

The Carrera's components are budget, which you would expect, but several of the bits are from decent brands, which is better than some of the 'no name' stuff from China.

Your link comes up for me at under £200 - you won't get a better bike for that money.

The likes of Evans offer similar bikes for similar money, but if you like the Carrera and it fits, there's no need to look any further.
Very helpful thank you

OP
OP
I

immi0001

Previous subway models have specified the weight and have been 14kg or thereabouts, not bad for a bike of that price. It has a pretty chunky frame. Go to Halfords, pick one up, see if you can try it out and then decide. Some Halfords stores allow testrides
Helpful thanks

OP
OP
I

immi0001

Got one 5 years ago and still going strong. I fitted M+ tyres, mudguards and otherwise pretty much left its kit alone. It is my go-to daily bike and routinely takes me on roads and through parks on rides of about 10 miles. I don't find the weight a problem and tackle hills of moderate duration on it without dropping down every gear. I'm heading for 60 and haven't any intention of replacing it with something else while it continues to make me smile every time I go out in it.

(No disc brakes on mine when I bought it back in 2011 - that's a more recent thing on the Subway 1 I think).
Thank you this was very helpful

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
IMHO the discs on subways are their weak point , they do stop better than the standard v brakes especially in the wet but are a bit of a swine to get set up right , then again im a bit of a tinkerer so i am always mucking about with bikes and that might be a reason i need to tweak stuff more than others might , the drop bar conversion @Elybazza61 posted is my conversion.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i realise this was a couple of years ago but do you recall what pannier rack and mudguards you got? i just got the same bike and love the look!
the rack is a modified topeak rack, i cut the middle rail out as my particular panniers the rail was interfering with the hook strap .
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...cks/topeak-super-tourist-dx-disc-pannier-rack
Mudagaurds are sks beavertail
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-beavertail-mudguard-set/rp-prod25804

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should just point out its not a mountain bike but more of a town bike, commuter or general purpose bike. It does share several attributes of a MTB thought like a good range of gears and straight bars.
Its not the lightest nor does it have the most puncture proof tyres or the best components but for a bike at this price it offers good value for money.
Much recommended on here.

Top Bottom