Cars to be banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
near 11 Edinburgh schools
"Cars will be banned from roads around 11 primary schools in Edinburgh under a “School Streets” pilot scheme announced by the Scottish capital’s council – but one potential barrier identified to the success of the propsals is whether they will gain support from motorists and local residents.

The initiative, which will apply in the morning and afternoon when children arrive at or leave school, is aimed at making roads around their places of study safer as well as encouraging more children to travel there on foot or by bicycle.

A spokeswoman for City of Edinburgh Council, quoted by the Edinburgh Evening News, said: “The pilot schemes will prohibit traffic on streets outside or around school entrances at specific times of day.

“Doing this creates a safer, more pleasant environment that promotes travel to school by walking and cycling.

“Further benefits for the whole community around the school, including residents and businesses, would include reduced congestion and decreased levels of air and noise pollution.” "

Colin_P

Guru
It'll just move the traffic and school run parking a little bit further away where it will not be as safe. 1/4 or 1/2 mile away there are no signs and people are less likely to expect to see or react to a child running out. And of course you should always be aware no matter where you are but a legal 28-30mph away from a school where the new dropping off area would be will increase danger. Better to keep things near the school where people will go especially slow, 10-15mph as they know and preceive the danger.

I know what I mean even if I cannot type it at this hour !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It'll just move the traffic and school run parking a little bit further away where it will not be as safe. 1/4 or 1/2 mile away there are no signs and people are less likely to expect to see or react to a child running out. And of course you should always be aware no matter where you are but a legal 28-30mph away from a school where the new dropping off area would be will increase danger. Better to keep things near the school where people will go especially slow, 10-15mph as they know and preceive the danger.

No if you are dropping off further away, then it's less concentrated into one area. My kids primary school was on a narrow parked up road, making it one lane for use by traffic going both ways, so cars would drive along the pavement to pass each other at times. All to try to stop right by the gate. And we used to cycle through that melee, it would have been much nicer to be on a quiet road.

People shouldn't need a sign saying kids around watch out, as there are kids around anyway, we lived half a mile away from their primary school.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wonder how my daughter would get to school. She drives herself, because there's no school bus, no direct public transport bus, no route to walk without walking on roads themselves etc. It infuriates me intensely, but there's no viable alternative.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It'd be better if they addressed the idiotic parking outside the school by parents
They do try but it is very hard, speaking as a parent who was involved in the school's Safe Routes to School group at the time. We tried police, children, letters, etc, the selfish ones always thought it didn't apply to them! And that everyone else was making it unsafe for them to do the park considerately. We even arranged that they could use the local pub car park which was just at the end of the road but that wasn't used by those parents.

D

Deleted member 23692

Am I missing something? How will parents be able to park outside the school when cars are banned from the area around the school?
Traffic passing a school shouldn't be a problem if parents park responsibly, considerately and, dare it say it, legally. Near me are three schools, and twice a day the idiot parents cause complete gridlock, but outside those time the traffic flows quite freely

It can be done safely, either by censure of inappropriate practice,or organisation of a safe place for the drop off

There almost needs to be a "park and walk" system

edindave

Über Member
On the whole I think it's a good idea but part of me thinks it will create a danger zone outside the restricted area, due to increased frustration with drivers having to park further away from the school, get back to their car, and continue on to drive to their place of work, with less time left to get there due to having fixed school starting times.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I read this as a "Third Way"?

Rather than ban the vehicles, enforce safe practice, censure dangerous and illegal parking and thus improve safety rather than a ban on traffic in its entirety
I think I would like to see a complete ban if only because it would increase the amount of exercise this group gets!

GrasB

Veteran

Sorry but this is BS!

First off most primary schools are very close to residential areas so they're areas you'll be expecting to find children around anyway. There are 4 roads which have primary schools on that I, along with everyone local, avoid at both ends of the school day because it's simply impossible to navigate without endangering people. This is due to the fact you need about 40 eyes to keep track of everyone randomly walking across the roads and the fact you can't actually see children because the cars are (double) parked both sides of the road.This means in one case people taking a 8 mile(!) diversion because parents are dropping their kids off right in front of the school. However if they parked 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away, which for a lot of these cases would be their house!, & walked the remainder you'd actually be able to see people & proceed carefully.

Top Bottom