CC Ecosse (and North Englandshire) 2016 Tour Thoughts...

What kind of Tour would people like?

• Weekend Meetup with Organisated Rides

• Point to Point Multi-day Tour in Scotland

• Point to Point Multi-day Tour Somewhere New

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Well we are just back from this years' CC Ecosse Tour to Inverness and the most common question I got asked (after they got over the shock of Day 2) was "where are we going next year???" It will also help me cure my post-tour blues by turning my thoughts to future tour possibilities. :hyper:

Following on from discussions held previously and over the weekend I'd like to guage how much interest there would be in a Weekend Meetup, or whether a Point-to-Point tour is preferred.

So my idea of a Weekend Meetup was that we pick somewhere interesting in the North of England close to the border and book accommodation for a weekend, you either ride there under your own steam (making your own mini-tour), drive or get public transport and we use the local knowledge of the good people of CC-land to create some routes for us, i.e. Mental, Challenging, Pootle etc. (and maybe even persuade them to act as guides...)
:bicycle:
That way people who don't want to stay overnight can still come and do some riding, and those who want to stay but don't want to do much riding have that option - this would be a more social aspect of meeting up with some of the names/faces of people you chat to online. @mcshroom already has great knowledge of this type of "touring".

OR, do folks want another point-to-point tour as we did this year? If that's the case where would everyone like to go?

Please Vote using the options above, suggestions welcome from all and expressions of interest gratefully received! :okay:

Calling those who were on this years' tour (or have previously expressed an interest, or are randomly picked by me):
@Edwardoka @Pat "5mph" (who can canvas the Belles) @Harry_Palmer79 @DougieAB @Scoosh @mcshroom @flyingfifi @traljapa @Somebuddy @bigjim @nickyboy @ColinJ @MikeW-71 @SatNavSaysStraightOn

...and anyone else who would like to express an opinion.

Ahthankyoukindly :thanks:

I have no preference, really - they all sound good.

I feel that were we to go south of the wall and be based centrally it should be longer than a weekend. Would have liked to have spent a day or two more on Islay.
Point to point either in Scotland or elsewhere has positives and negatives.

I'm too busy being jealous of @mcshroom's upcoming northwestern adventure to think about next year :-p

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I have no preference, really - they all sound good.

I feel that were we to go south of the wall and be based centrally it should be longer than a weekend. Would have liked to have spent a day or two more on Islay.
Point to point either in Scotland or elsewhere has positives and negatives.

I'm too busy being jealous of @mcshroom's upcoming northwestern adventure to think about next year :-p

By "weekend" I really mean Friday to Monday ;)

The advantage of a Meetup is it can be as long or short as people choose it to be, making it more flexible for folks.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
C2C was also discussed, and would be a good route to do but would only take max 2 days for most - though we could plan that seperately... :whistle:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
South West Englandshire not allowed to chime in?

For me the format matters less, location is more of interest. From a purely selfish perspective I would of course love to see a place I did not visit before - Far North, Galloway, Orkney, Lake district...

Some places would perhaps present a certain logistical challenge, especially in the case of strong attendance - in this case the "meetup" format may be preferable.

Of course, youse are all also welcome to come down to Exmoor, and I can show you what real hills look like!:cycle:

fimm

Veteran
I was just thinking: how about a tour of the Borders? You could do either kind, but for a point to point, why not to cycle to Carlisle, but with lots of meanders? if your route is quite wriggly, and the weather is bad, you can bail and take the straight route instead. Or someone who is struggling can take the straight route and others the less so.
I'm not sure how interesting Carlisle is as a destination, but it has good train links back to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Carlisle's ok for transport and accommodation, and does have a Castle and Cathedral I suppose. Touring the Southern Uplands would make an interesting tour, maybe starting out from Ayr or Stranraer and heading towards Newcastle/Edinburgh/Berwick.

In the time we had this time I could do a pretty comprehensive cris-crossing of the Lake District from Carlisle/Penrith, but you would spend the whole time going uphill or downhill.

This time of year it would be possible to ride out to Somewhere Like Ullapool and pick up the Bike-Bus back to Inverness which makes the West Coast more accessible - Bealach Na Ba anyone? :evil:

Another thought is it's about 4 days riding from Edinburgh to London. Not sure it's the best Scenery after the Humber Bridge however.

One we did this winter on the other forum for a single base weekend was to use the Wigwams at Pot-a-doodle-do near Berwick. On the East Coast Mainline, with choices for rides into the Tweed valley, down to Lindisfarne or out towards the Cheviots. The thread on that weekend is here: -
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82860.0

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
My preference would be the weekend meet up, in some place where it doesn't rain. I believe British Airways carry bikes as part of your luggage allowance!

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Carlisle's ok for transport and accommodation, and does have a Castle and Cathedral I suppose. Touring the Southern Uplands would make an interesting tour, maybe starting out from Ayr or Stranraer and heading towards Newcastle/Edinburgh/Berwick.

In the time we had this time I could do a pretty comprehensive cris-crossing of the Lake District from Carlisle/Penrith, but you would spend the whole time going uphill or downhill.

This time of year it would be possible to ride out to Somewhere Like Ullapool and pick up the Bike-Bus back to Inverness which makes the West Coast more accessible - Bealach Na Ba anyone? :evil:

Another thought is it's about 4 days riding from Edinburgh to London. Not sure it's the best Scenery after the Humber Bridge however.

One we did this winter on the other forum for a single base weekend was to use the Wigwams at Pot-a-doodle-do near Berwick. On the East Coast Mainline, with choices for rides into the Tweed valley, down to Lindisfarne or out towards the Cheviots. The thread on that weekend is here: -
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82860.0

LOVING the idea of wigwams!

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
All good stuff, keep the comments coming - I probably should have said the following too:

I want it to be rideable from scotland, if I'm organising it ;) ;
Prefer it not to be too pricey so it's inclusive;
Accommodation won't be fancy to keep costs down;
After this year I'm trying to keep the arrangements as easy as possible for me!

...and all welcome to comment! :okay:

Top Bottom