Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse Islay 4-Day Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
MOD EDIT:
At @Fubar 's request, please keep this thread for attendance matters and use the other one here for chatting about Fubar's Epic Tour.

OP EDITED 4 JULY - PAYMENT MADE AND NAMES FINALISED:
Ok, this tour has been well discussed in another thread and I reckon everyone who is interested has seen it, so now clarifying the final plan!

DAY 1: FRIDAY 15 AUGUST - Meet at Ardrossan for ferry to Arran, long way round to Lochranza and overnight stay at Lochranza Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN), route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867865 - plenty time in the afternoon for more cycling, segment bagging, etc.

DAY 2: SATURDAY 16 AUGUST - Lochranza to Argyll by ferry, cycle across the peninsula then Kennacraig ferry to Port Askaig and cycle to Port Charlotte - overnight stay at Port Charlotte Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN), route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867895

DAY 3: SUNDAY 17 AUGUST: Free day! There are various options, including @MikeW-71's tour of Islay (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3894311), a trip to Jura and back or just lounging around - overnight stay at Port Charlotte Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN).

DAY 4: MONDAY 18 AUGUST: Cycle Port Charlotte to Port Ellen to catch ferry to Kennacraig, cycle to Claonaig for ferry to Lochranza, then cycle to Brodick (the hard way!) for ferry back to Ardrossan and home, route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3887834

On the basis that quite a few have shown interest I contacted the Youth Hostel Association and they have space, I'm waiting on them clarifying a couple of points (ladies in one room, and a request for an individual room) - I now have a provisional booking and will be paying in the next couple of days - DEADLINE WEDNESDAY 29 JANUARY (9AM)

They require a 20% deposit up front with final payment 6 weeks before the dates. I am willing to pay the deposit and recoup the money on trust, but don't want to be put in the awkward position of having to chase people or losing out, so can everyone who is DEFINITELY INTERESTED and can commit to those dates please let me know on this thread - names from the other thread are as follows:

CONFIRMED: :thumbsup:
@Fubar
@MikeW-71
@DougieAB
@Pat "5mph"
@Edwardoka
@Ellebells
@Harry_Palmer79
@Scoosh
@heather68
@Fiona MacNeill

Hopefully I have not missed anyone! I have no problem if someone says they can't commit now but decides to come along later - they will be responsible for their own bookings though. Same if someone wants to do a different tour - this one is mine, feel free to organise your own.

A couple of other thoughts are:
It's not much mileage overall but it is 4 days on a bike, and all that entails. Some of the roads might not be great and some of the routes will be tough (Lochranza to Brodick!) but not impossible - I've tried to allow plenty time to reach ferry ports and for mechanicals, etc.

The group will always endeavour to help and the aim is not to leave anyone behind, however I can't be held responsible for crashes, illness, injury, hangovers, broken bikes, death, falling out, etc etc etc - there will not be the same service on the islands as there is on the mainland so personal responsibility is a must - insurance (i.e. membership of British Cycling) is probably a good idea.

If you pay then can't go we'll try to find a replacement but if not you lose your money.

Ferries are subject to change/cancellation, if that happens we'll have to plan on the hoof.

The weather might be bad and the midgies might be biting - tough.

That list is not exhaustive and seems harsh, but I'm just being up front and covering my own back (a good trick!) - I'm not a travel agent so this is just me doing what I can when I can, hence the early bookings, plus it gives us something to look forward to!

I personally think it will be a great 4 days - I have a spreadsheet with more details about ferry timings, etc which I'll post up under this. Any questions/comments let me know!

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Here is the spreadsheet I created with more detailed timings for ferries, cycling, etc. hopefully it makes sense but let me know if you spot any potential problems.

Attachments

• Islay Plan 2014.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 90

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Fubar you are coming on next Saturday's ride? If yes I'll give you the deposit then.
If not, we can do paypal or bank transfer, or something: August is a long time for you to be advancing money, imo ^_^

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar you are coming on next Saturday's ride? If yes I'll give you the deposit then.
If not, we can do paypal or bank transfer, or something: August is a long time for you to be advancing money, imo ^_^

Thanks Pat, I doubt I'll make next Saturday's ride but I was banking on seeing you all before August! Alternatively my trusty associate @Col5632 could always take the cash (if he is going) and I'll send the boys round to his door...

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Edwardoka and @Gee_Dee added to the list, assuming a twin room is available - a Fellowship of 8!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I know ... will let you know as soon as I have everything sorted, hopefully the way it needs to be for Islay ... still a 'would really like to join' rather than a definite just now.
Didn't @Rasmus also announce that he was 'watching with interest' or something?

EDIT: Sorry, should have put this on the chatting thread :blush:

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hi, just to say I am extending the deadline for a few more days just to let those who are undecided/may have other commitments a bit more time - room for a few more wee ones! Regards, Mark

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
Hi Mark sorry for being last at getting back to you, Would still love to come. I think the idea of a free day is great (I could bring some proper tyres and do some proper riding getting all muddy, but, also ride with the roadies for the banter and the like) but don't know if I am able to get time off work until April (but am hoping i can pull a few hours unpaid overtime an use it to take the days off). Put me down as a possible and if i can come I could make my own arrangements (bring a wee tent and rough it) if I cant book the same place as the rest of you. Fingers crossed as the whole thing just sounds amazing.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hi Mark sorry for being last at getting back to you, Would still love to come. I think the idea of a free day is great (I could bring some proper tyres and do some proper riding getting all muddy, but, also ride with the roadies for the banter and the like) but don't know if I am able to get time off work until April (but am hoping i can pull a few hours unpaid overtime an use it to take the days off). Put me down as a possible and if i can come I could make my own arrangements (bring a wee tent and rough it) if I cant book the same place as the rest of you. Fingers crossed as the whole thing just sounds amazing.

Nae worries, you've been a bit pre-occupied! I'm sure we will still be able to get more peeps booked in further down the line but it makes sense for you to wait, especially with a new wee one! I'll make the booking in the meantime, let me know once you know your plans - here's hoping you can make it :smile:

Top Bottom