Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Oh one other thing just to mention - I'm not going to organise transport back from Inverness as people may want to do different things, we're going to different places and there are many options for train tickets etc.

Last time I looked you could get a non-transferable single to Edinburgh for £20, but everyone needs to consider what is best for them. Cheers! Mark

barring disasters, the apocalypse, etc. (thinking like Ed!)
I recommend not doing that, it usually ends badly.

Oh one other thing just to mention - I'm not going to organise transport back from Inverness as people may want to do different things, we're going to different places and there are many options for train tickets etc.
One other other thing to mention - I think the Inverness trains are reasonably ok for bikes. They're officially rated to take 2 (or 4 if it's a double-length train) bikes, but I've seen one of them with 20 on coming back from Arran. That particular conductor was a good guy, but some of them are a bit :cursing:y about it, so either do a seat and bike reservation or don't book onto a specific train.

P.S. I will be heading north from Inverness after this trip for an explore of the far northwest if anyone's interested in an extended jaunt.

One other other thing to mention - I think the Inverness trains are reasonably ok for bikes. They're officially rated to take 2 (or 4 if it's a double-length train) bikes, but I've seen one of them with 20 on coming back from Arran. That particular conductor was a good guy, but some of them are a bit :cursing:y about it, so either do a seat and bike reservation or don't book onto a specific train.

P.S. I will be heading north from Inverness after this trip for an explore of the far northwest if anyone's interested in an extended jaunt.
Its 2 per carriage marked for bikes or disabled sign btw... and more if the disabled bays are not in use. (used a train for bikes out of Inverness in 2013 - we had 3 in the bike rack marked for 2 because we were able to arrange pedals and the likes to allow full access down the corridor so the ticket person was happy with that though did point out that one of them could go in the disabled bay because it was an either or situation in both bays... it is just they never marked it that way! :wacko:)

Brandane

Legendary Member
and more if the disabled bays are not in use.
That's the one thing I have found train managers to be a bit fussy about, and probably rightly so. The reason being that they cannot tell whether or not someone is going to join the train at a station further along the line who might need wheelchair access, but find the space full of bikes.
I seem to remember reading some LEJOG trip reports with tales of woe about bike spaces being strictly enforced on trains to/from Inverness? Might be better to book spaces to avoid problems.......

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
That's the one thing I have found train managers to be a bit fussy about, and probably rightly so. The reason being that they cannot tell whether or not someone is going to join the train at a station further along the line who might need wheelchair access, but find the space full of bikes.
I seem to remember reading some LEJOG trip reports with tales of woe about bike spaces being strictly enforced on trains to/from Inverness? Might be better to book spaces to avoid problems.......

Looks like there 11 trains per day Inverness to Perth then change at Perth for either Glasgow or Edinburgh - should be plenty of choice for onward travel from Perth, timetable here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/Glas-Ed-InvDec14.pdf

As you say may be better to book spaces, first come first served!

Ironically it was the train manager that told us to use the disabled bay - this was after we have squeezed 3 bikes into a 2 bikes space. perhaps the time of year was a factor? We were in early September (Inverness to Thurso)

I don't want to dilute the message of your PM, so will mention it here.
Fubar said:
Let me know if I've missed anything, hopefully not!
Feeder rides :whistle:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I don't want to dilute the message of your PM, so will mention it here.

Feeder rides :whistle:
To Glesga or to Callandar ? … he says, having seen some of the Glesga - Callandar route :huh: and compared it to the Embra - Calandar one … :smile:

I was all ready to say I'd meet y'all in Calandar, then thought that, actually, I could overnight in Glasgow before The Big Off or even take a train with F-OMIL, as long as the train start would not be at silly o'clock (ie after peak hours).

Getting worried about my (lack of) fitness already … :sad: - too many mile-munchers and not enough CAKE :hungry:-munchers … :unsure: amongst this touring peleton !

To Glesga or to Callandar ? … he says, having seen some of the Glesga - Callandar route :huh: and compared it to the Embra - Calandar one … :smile:

Hence why the question was asked! I know there's a Glasgow contingent following the route on RWGPS and an Edinburgh contingent (there's also a Dundee contingent :whistle: although I don't mind travelling to the SECC to start)
If we can agree on a start time would it be practical for everyone in the grupetto to start from the SECC? There's a direct train from Waverley to Charing Cross. Dep 0756 Arr 0913.

Getting worried about my (lack of) fitness already … :sad: - too many mile-munchers and not enough CAKE :hungry:-munchers … :unsure: amongst this touring peleton !
Plenty of time! The training miles will roll effortlessly 'neath the wheels of your chaise longue - you'll be fine!

P.S. Considering the myriad variant spellings of Callander in your post I'm surprised you didn't hit the right one at least once ;)

Top Bottom