Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse RV ride to see @satnav! Saturday 10 Oct, 12-1 RV Time

Which day preferred?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
[QUOTE 3948682, member: 9609"]iI drove up the night before arriving in the early hours, I had hoped to lie in my bed and listen to the stags roaring, this is the time of year to go 'the rutting season' and it is a fantastic highland sound (best heard from inside a vehicle, when you listen to it from within a tent there is always that nagging worry that you could end up being a participant :eek:) - iether they were no where near where I parked or I slept too well - never heard a noise.

A comfortable night was had sleeping in the van with my bike and its new saddle
rann01_9059_zpsy5idanny.jpg

Fantastic sunrise (as you can see from @SatNavSaysStraightOn pictures) but I forgot to take any, by the time I set off I was immersed in thick cold damp fog. by the time I got down into the glen it was starting to clear and I got the waterproofs off.

rann03_9063_zpsffy7dusa.jpg

great cycling roads and thankfully few cars.

I just love these dark sinister fast flowing highland rivers, Tummel at Kinloch Rannoch
rann04_9067_zpst2qkiznl.jpg

Schiehallion coming out of the mist above Loch Rannoch.
rann05_9070_zpsmi7vl5tz.jpg

An odd name for some cottages near the loch, and my bike hidding its modesty behind a leaf.
rann06_9075_zpszivctldf.jpg

Hooded Crows - this is about as far south as you get these. (it was exciting for me)
rann08_9077_zpsj37xtmdi.jpg

and some Jacob Sheep (i think)
rann07_9081_zps5fev4lbj.jpg

This little tower in the centre of the loch fascinated me, rumour has it the laird locked his wife up there lol
Apparently there was a prison stood here and it was linked to the south shore by a causeway, but the raising of the water for the hydro has now covered it. presumably the folly was built from the stone. The hill in the background is the Munro Meall Buidhe.
rann09_9096_zpssxzvbydl.jpg

So overall it was a good day out and good to meet the others - @Pat "5mph" name is pretty misleading, she whizzes along at a fair rate of knots - I reckon she could be upgraded to pat15mph.

Overall for me on the day it was 45mile with 3000' ascent - certainly a big climb out of the glen at the end of the day. Since I started cycling this is my furthest north, and as you can see from my roads completed map (see sig line) it gives me a great challenge to link it up to my other roads
rann11_zps0ai8pvjm.jpg

and finally a picture that I took from a few years ago looking North from Meall Garbh in the Carn Meag hills, shows what a remote mountainous countryside Loch Rannoch is set in.
rann10_4137_zps67awmyg4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Brilliant photos!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@User9609

You mention a 'very comfortable' night in the van.

How do you get on with condensation?

Several people have told me condensation makes kipping in a car or van unpleasant, although I've never tried it.

It's a tin box, rather like my static caravan.

I have to be careful of condensation in there, which is a much larger space.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fantastic pictures @User9609!
I saw a big stag on the moor, could not get a picture, but he stopped to look at me several times before running off.
When I got to the station there was a family of deer, the stag was quite nervous, wanting us (me and some other guy with a big slr camera, his wife was using her mobile's camera) to go, while the mum and babies were curious, not running off.
Did not see any sheep!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Forgot to mention: on the train back there was an almighty bang, we hit something on the rails.
They told us it was a cow, hope it wasn't a deer.

[QUOTE 3948682, member: 9609"]iI drove up the night before arriving in the early hours, I had hoped to lie in my bed and listen to the stags roaring, this is the time of year to go 'the rutting season' and it is a fantastic highland sound (best heard from inside a vehicle, when you listen to it from within a tent there is always that nagging worry that you could end up being a participant :eek:) - iether they were no where near where I parked or I slept too well - never heard a noise.

Fantastic sunrise (as you can see from @SatNavSaysStraightOn pictures) but I forgot to take any, by the time I set off I was immersed in thick cold damp fog. by the time I got down into the glen it was starting to clear and I got the waterproofs off.

I just love these dark sinister fast flowing highland rivers, Tummel at Kinloch Rannoch

An odd name for some cottages near the loch, and my bike hidding its modesty behind a leaf.

Hooded Crows - this is about as far south as you get these. (it was exciting for me)

This little tower in the centre of the loch fascinated me, rumour has it the laird locked his wife up there lol
Apparently there was a prison stood here and it was linked to the south shore by a causeway, but the raising of the water for the hydro has now covered it. presumably the folly was built from the stone. The hill in the background is the Munro Meall Buidhe.

So overall it was a good day out and good to meet the others - @Pat "5mph" name is pretty misleading, she whizzes along at a fair rate of knots - I reckon she could be upgraded to pat15mph.

Overall for me on the day it was 45mile with 3000' ascent - certainly a big climb out of the glen at the end of the day. Since I started cycling this is my furthest north, and as you can see from my roads completed map (see sig line) it gives me a great challenge to link it up to my other roads
rann11_zps0ai8pvjm.jpg

and finally a picture that I took from a few years ago looking North from Meall Garbh in the Carn Meag hills, shows what a remote mountainous countryside Loch Rannoch is set in. @Pat "5mph" the station would be just off the very left of the picture
[/QUOTE]
Incredible photos!
You're not wrong about the sound of rutting deer. I once had to walk about 3 miles in pitch black from Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran and the noise the deer made was utterly terrifying, like donkeys being chainsawed...

Not helped by a road sign that suddenly loomed out of the dark which said "That which burns never returns"
:eek:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru

rann11_zps0ai8pvjm.jpg

and finally a picture that I took from a few years ago looking North from Meall Garbh in the Carn Meag hills, shows what a remote mountainous countryside Loch Rannoch is set in. @Pat "5mph" the station would be just off the very left of the picture
[/QUOTE]

Oh I saw the "Chemical Cottages" too on the lookout for @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's holiday home - what a weird address!

I know the sign from my childhood! It's words are also etched in my mind as well. A very good reminder that carelessness causes fires.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@SatNavSaysStraightOn your hubby was telling us about your proposed "race" around the loch - I reckoned you should ride to the halfway point, rest then phone him to start from your holiday phone and see who gets back first! Obviously you could ride to Kinloch Rannoch, phone him and say you're at the halfway point... :whistle:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@SatNavSaysStraightOn your hubby was telling us about your proposed "race" around the loch - I reckoned you should ride to the halfway point, rest then phone him to start from your holiday phone and see who gets back first! Obviously you could ride to Kinloch Rannoch, phone him and say you're at the halfway point... :whistle:
Using what phone coverage ?? Satellite ? :unsure:

Cue @SatNavSaysStraightOn really stands for SatelliteNavSaysStartnOw ! :okay:

Top Bottom