CCTV or Helmet Cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a report on the BBC about Police releasing an image "from CCTV" of a passenger shooting cyclists with an pellet or ball bearing

From the image it looks more like a helmet-cam than CCTV.....

_53080481_gunman.jpg

If so it is something of a landmark if the Police use this to identify and prosecute.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Could be a zoom in from a wide angle CCTV image. If it is from a head cam then that is fantastic news.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say it was a helmet camera from the angle & the look on the face of the passenger. He appears to be staring straight at a camera he knows is pointing at him.
Almost head height, on a bike, as well.
Great if the police do prosecute from it. Better still if they prosecute & get a conviction from it.

Bman

Guru
I agree, it does look like helmet cam footage. The angle and resolution seem to match.

The background suggests a non-urban area without "CCTV" but thats just a massive assumption.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If so it is something of a landmark if the Police use this to identify and prosecute.

In what sense? In the bb gun case, yes it appears so. Identify, well plenty of cars have been identified through footage. Person, yes, it's done very well here. It seems very likely by the angle that it is helmet camera footage. If it was CCTV footage then I compliment the police's investigative skills as that would be harder to locate.

If you mean more generally someone who attacked a cyclist, we had benborp of this forum who was assaulted by someone and the overall incident was captured on film. Unfortunately there wasn't a conviction for assault as they weazled out of it saying it could have been some elaborate whirling around on ben's part. The driver was convicted of a much lesser charge.

This case immediately made me think of this where the helmet camera probably hasn't captured the pellet flying, so in court or the CPS may benborp style argue that the driver was merely threatening the cyclist and that any injuries could have been caused by some other unknown person in the area with a BB gun. I just hope it doesn't go that way, but after the case on this forum I do wonder. In the end I hope it goes to court, we've heard of plenty of cases of bbs at cyclists over the years and you can't really let these people go when rumbled on film.

Top Bottom