Chain cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skizxi

Regular
First all just want to say what a great site and thanks for all the advice so far.

I'm now looking for a chain cleaning device and some degreaser. What do you folks use?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Can I be the first to mention the Mickle method? I've never done anything else since I found out about it.

http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

Booyaa

Veteran
I used the mickle method last night on the wife's back ahead of her triathlon today and it really does work and makes a far better job of it than these machine things. Give it a shot and save yourself some money at the same time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've changed my mind, I'm gonna go back to using white spirit in a jar.
Used to be paraffin for me. :becool:

bpsmith

Veteran
I used the mickle method last night on the wife's back ahead of her triathlon today and it really does work and makes a far better job of it than these machine things. Give it a shot and save yourself some money at the same time.
I sometimes Mickle but have a machine too. Mickle method is quicker and easier, but it in no way does a better job than the machine. My chain is always a lot cleaner using the machine.

Not criticising the Mickle method, as these are 2 totally different options, but pointing out the difference in result.

If you're just doing gentle clean tarmac then a wipe over with an oily rag is fine, but for serious grit and mud then use of solvent and detergent is essential, remember to wash off with clean water. Any old machine cleaner will do, or a stiff brush like the pro's use.

If you're just doing gentle clean tarmac then a wipe over with an oily rag is fine, but for serious grit and mud then use of solvent and detergent is essential, remember to wash off with clean water. Any old machine cleaner will do, or a stiff brush like the pro's use.
Solvent? For mud? What sort of terrain do you ride on - tar sands??

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thought any kind of cleaning by immersion was frowned on, on account of it stripping out special lubes factory-built into the chain.

Top Bottom