Chain.. Rusty after 1 outing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

So I like my chain nice and clean and it's been off the bike for a 'deep clean' a couple of times, as well as the regular clean and lube from time to time.

Monday I took my bike from my block to work. About a 1500m journey, if that. The weather was foul and raining at the time. The roads were also very wet, but I wasn't bothered! My chain was lubed and my bike was most definitely ready to be ridden in any condition... Apart from this it seems.

Later that evening when I had finished work, I poodled back to my room in the dry. Got there, and left my bike. I happened to go on a 3 day fly away, so when I returned, I noticed that my chain had gone rusty and looked like it needed binning!

Is dry lube really that awful that it can't deal with 1500 metres of wet road?

Anyway, cleaned it up with some WD40 yesterday as I wanted to go on a ride, but some rust remains. What's the best course of action to remove the rust? Bike sounds a bit like a kids bike who's never lubed the chain.

Might just upgrade to that gold KMC chain.

You seem to have got some acid rain there.

Octet

Veteran
That does sound unusual, in the past I used to regularly cycle along the seafront with large waves coming over the walls and drenching the bicycle lane (and me) yet only ever experienced mild specks of rust.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Dry lube is fine for riding in moderate weather or for shortish distances. However you should deal with the wet chain as soon as you finish. Even a drenching with WD40 will preserve it until you have time to clean it properly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The surface rust - more like staining - is harmless.

But as someone who also likes a clean chain, I can understand why you want to remove it.

A mildly abrasive kitchen cleaner such as Cif would do the job - the own brand stuff is just as good.

Use it on a rag and you won't get any into the internals of chain, even if you wanted to.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Powerlink snapped today. Chain has managed 583 miles before a part has snapped. What a piece of shite.

Top Bottom