Chain suck article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi all, I thought I'd share this very detailed article on chain suck, detailing its causes and how to treat it:

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

The article has links to other pages with even more information on chain suck, and is very detailed. I may be using a few of these tips myself, because I've been getting the so-called "2-ring" chain suck for the last week or so, about 1 occurrence per day on average, so some corrective action is definitely needed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I keep my chain and rings clean and carefully monitor the wear, and I've never, ever suffered this phenomenon.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I keep my chain and rings clean and carefully monitor the wear, and I've never, ever suffered this phenomenon.
I do all of those, too, and have got chain suck for the first time. Have you read the article? It mentions that even well-maintained drive trains can get chain suck.

Drago

Legendary Member
I read the article from start to finish. However, my own first hand experience differs a little from their findings, and lack of chain suck I've suffered in over 40 years of riding suggests to me I'm correct.

I can only speak as I find. Nevertheless, an interesting article, and just because I don't agree 100% with it doesn't mean I didn't think it worth reading.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My first bike suffered from it from almost brand new, certainly within a few hundred miles. I've no idea what caused it, and the LBS swapped the chainrings at the 6 week bike check, but it carried on and I got to know the sensation so that it didn't get so tangled.

young Ed

Veteran
only suffered it once it twice i think, on old bike with slightly too worn components and changing whilst putting lots of power through up hill
change down in time, keep everything lubed up and clean and in good condition and keep everything adjusted nicely and it should all go smooth and you can forget about this chain sucking malarky
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
(I have read the article).

I've only encountered the problem with a really mucky chain. Once cleaned up, the problem went away. I'm not sure it needs so many words to say a dirty chain can stick to the chain ring..........
The article mentioned more causes than just a dirty chain. I keep my drive train and chain very clean, and the ones I currently have are relatively new, but for the first time ever have had this chain suck, so now I have to determine why. I'd welcome any suggestions on how this could be occurring.

The article mentioned more causes than just a dirty chain. I keep my drive train and chain very clean, and the ones I currently have are relatively new, but for the first time ever have had this chain suck, so now I have to determine why. I'd welcome any suggestions on how this could be occurring.

Can't really comment about the other reasons suggested in the article, as I've never experienced it at any other times. Clearly if your new-ish drive chain is clean though, there must be some mechanical interaction, so the logic of some form of mismatch makes sense. 10 & 11 speed chains can be directional which could be an issue.

U

User33236

The only episode of chain such I have had was when I fitted a brand spanking new chainring I got free with my CX bike as I wanted a 50t big ring as opposed to the 46t it came with. It was so bad it was only on the bike for one commute. The vendor swapped it out for another (of the same make) and there have no repeat issues since. I can only surmise a manufacturing defect with the first one.

Top Bottom