Chainset Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
I am thinking about changing my Shimano 105 5700 Compact Chainset to a 105 5700 double chainset. If I do this what implications would there be? Longer chain?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Longer chain indeed

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
I'm assuming I can just add links. Any idea on how many?
Also found out the chainsets come in different crank arm lengths, need to measure mine.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ten speed and upwards I'd be wary of adding links. The pins are a very tight fit and it's easy to damage the side plate resulting in a broken chain. Chains are consumer items anyway and a new one is cheap enough. Use an online chain calculator to work out the number of links.

simon.r

Person
You may get away without changing the chain, depending on how long your existing chain is and if you can trust yourself not to use the big/big combination.

Crank length is often stamped / moulded on the rear of the crank arms.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Check chain length by the big cog-big cog + 2 links without going through the mech. The front mech should take the increase from 50 to 52/53 but may struggle if its a 48 however you may need a new inner cable.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
From what I have read it might be easier just changing my cassette from a 12/25 to a 11/23 (or 11/25). I just want a bit more top end speed down hills and on the flat.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Investing in a new chainset deserves a chain change. Dont fiddle with those fiddly fiddle Shimano ones - KMC is easy peasy to install and reasonbly priced. They even sell gold ones for extra bling if that is your thing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
From what I have read it might be easier just changing my cassette from a 12/25 to a 11/23 (or 11/25). I just want a bit more top end speed down hills and on the flat.
If going down that route go for the 11-23, much tighter gear cluster, lighter and you could drop a couple of links in the chain (still recommend fitting a new one though SRAM hollowpin 10 being my suggestion bout 35 squid)

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
I have a Shimano 105 12/25 set at the minute so was either going to go for the 11/25 105 5700 cassette or the ultegra 6700 11/23. Probably favouring the ultegra

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Well I ordered and received my cassette. Fitted it yesterday which was an incredibly simple job. Took it out for a spin, hit a top speed of 41.6mph down a short hill where my other casstte topped out at about 37mph.

Job done, well pleased. Thanks again for everyone's help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I run an 11 -28 and that gives me a good range both ends on a compact, upgrading the small ring to a 36 soon though as the jump from big to small is annoying and i rarely use the small ring anyway .

Top Bottom