Challenging Event Crash Helmet Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you saying this isn't really the case @mjray? These are social rides with restricted numbers of participants, and no fund-raising or entry fees are involved.
I was discussing Skyrides, not Breeze rides, but during a discussion in another place, I was told that BC doesn't force crash helmets on Breeze participants. However, many Breeze rides seem to be run by local BC clubs, many of which have crash helmet rules except where an outside body prevents them (usually time trials) and they carry them through to Breeze because BC doesn't require freedom of choice.

The 'Breeze Champion' has been slightly apologetic about this when I spoke to her about it, but maintains that she has to say 'helmets compulsory' in order to be insured by British Cycling who fund the whole operation.
Maybe you could suggest she double-checks that and finds out what policy says that, if you want?

Despite my doubts about Breeze, I'd be just as interested about how anyone's managed to get a crash helmet rule removed from a Breeze ride that was initially advertised with one.

Sara_H

Guru
I was discussing Skyrides, not Breeze rides, but during a discussion in another place, I was told that BC doesn't force crash helmets on Breeze participants. However, many Breeze rides seem to be run by local BC clubs, many of which have crash helmet rules except where an outside body prevents them (usually time trials) and they carry them through to Breeze because BC doesn't require freedom of choice.

Maybe you could suggest she double-checks that and finds out what policy says that, if you want?

Despite my doubts about Breeze, I'd be just as interested about how anyone's managed to get a crash helmet rule removed from a Breeze ride that was initially advertised with one.
I was also told that Breeze participants aren't mandated to wear helmets, but leaders are. I applied to be a Breeze leader but withdrew when I found out about the helmet requirements.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I was also told that Breeze participants aren't mandated to wear helmets, but leaders are. I applied to be a Breeze leader but withdrew when I found out about the helmet requirements.
We had to for the training but only then, not for future rides. Trainers did specify it was something to do with insurance.

TBH, wish I'd not bothered but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Perhaps you should turn up wearing this helmet that conforms to EN1078, or at least used to. Hopefully the sticker is still there somewhere.

broken_helmet.jpg

Intersting in that many organisations do not accept EN1078 as adequate for sports use.

In the US events will not accept a helmet with EN1078 unless it passes a higher standard as well

Equally UK Cycling Event states:

t is mandatory that all riders wear a safety approved cycling helmet complying with latest ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards.

Had he helmet passed a higher standard, would it have failed in th same way?

What was the history of the helmet... was it poorly maintained, had it ever suffered a serious impact, or a series of minor impacts?

I have been a Scout Leader for some 35 years and always used to encourage cycling

I also used t arrange a Sponsored Cycle ride which brought in about half the Group's budget each year

Then helmets became compulsory

We now had to exclude boys from activities if they did not wear one, and exclude about the majority of the sponsored cycle ride participants

I no longer organise either, the group has lost an important income and the boys their cycling activities

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I have been a Scout Leader for some 35 years and always used to encourage cycling
The Guide movement is the same. My wife only does rides with the girls, and helmets hasn't lead to any exclusions as they all have them (bikes that aren't skip bound deathtraps is another issue, but they all have helmets), if I go along I make a point of being in a baseball cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom