Changing 12-26 to 11-32 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I have a cannondake caad8, 9 speed sora. Would like to change the cassette as above. Would that be possible without having to replace other parts, other than a larger chain?

Tojo

Über Member
Over 28 on the rear cassette you'll need a medium cage rear mech and lengthen the chain to suit,... no.....:wacko: do not lengthen the chain, get a new one and keep the one you take off to go with the short cage mech you take off, as you will put it back on... as I have and others.....:secret:.... really just change the cassette to a11-28 and try that for a while if you have a 50-34 chainset I think you will get away with that combo...if it doesn't work for you feel free to give me a bollocking.....:whistle:

I recently bought a bike with a Sora 9 speed set up, a triple up front 50:39:30 and an 11-25 cassette. I found that a change to a 12-27 cassette, was more than adequate, to take on the sorts of hills I was going up. 11-32 would be overkill. Also the 12-27 works with the standard medium cage rear mech, and the 114 link chain.

Sharky

Guru
Hi, if you are moving to a wider range on the rear, it will mean larger gaps between some of the other sprockets and could make for much larger ratio changes in the mid range. Study the gear tables and see which ratios you are going to lose/gain.

Good luck

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi, if you are moving to a wider range on the rear, it will mean larger gaps between some of the other sprockets and could make for much larger ratio changes in the mid range. Study the gear tables and see which ratios you are going to lose/gain.

Good luck

I see your point but most people I see going for the 32 and 34 top end sprocket are just trying to go up hills a little easier, loosing a couple of gear changes in between becomes an acceptable trade.

Another point I wanted to make.... officially Shimano would run up to 28T sprockets with a short cage derailleur but I have seen a couple of times short cage derailleur and 30T sprockets. So I guess it's something the OP could try.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a cannondake caad8, 9 speed sora. Would like to change the cassette as above. Would that be possible without having to replace other parts, other than a larger chain?

I am in the "midst" of changing from 11-28 to 11-32 which I am advised will make it approx 14/15% easier on the hills.........which I am also told is adaquate for my needs (Cheshire hills).
It will (for me) necessitate a new rear mech' and new chain so I would "imagine" you will also need these ??

marihino

what exactly are short, medium and long cages? I imagine that constitutes the distance between jockey wheels axes? Mine looks pretty long, my cassette is 12-25 and I'd like to expand the range in both directions, 11-28 at least, or even 11-32.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
I've got a short cage and 50-34 at front. So I'll need new rear derailleur as well? Hopefully they are quick and easy to swap over.

Over 28 on the rear cassette you'll need a medium cage rear mech and lengthen the chain to suit,... no.....:wacko: do not lengthen the chain, get a new one and keep the one you take off to go with the short cage mech you take off, as you will put it back on... as I have and others.....:secret:.... really just change the cassette to a11-28 and try that for a while if you have a 50-34 chainset I think you will get away with that combo...if it doesn't work for you feel free to give me a bollocking.....:whistle:

I recently bought a bike with a Sora 9 speed set up, a triple up front 50:39:30 and an 11-25 cassette. I found that a change to a 12-27 cassette, was more than adequate, to take on the sorts of hills I was going up. 11-32 would be overkill. Also the 12-27 works with the standard medium cage rear mech, and the 114 link chain.

It's for an attempt at hardknott pass. I will switch back to my 12-26 after!

Tojo

Über Member
It's for an attempt at hardknott pass. I will switch back to my 12-26 after![/QUOTE]

Wrynose as well I hope, there is a wee dip in between the two of them.........:whistle:

sneaky beaky

Just bought a Merlin with Sora 9 on, went for a 11-32 cassette and sram chain with power link -

Just done 20 miles on turbo trainer level 5 and all gears ran fine -

new sram chain, links down to 112 and all ratios run ok

generally I wont strain the gears small/small big/big but they do work

went for sram £10.99 looks a fine strong chain to me

bit of setting up and fine tuning...oh...front rings are 50/34

hitting the fells tomorrow, my knees will thank me

hope this helps

Merlin 11-32.jpg

bondirob

You can use a short cage derailleur with a 32 cassette your lbs will probably tell you otherwise but a quick YouTube search will show you it can be done.

Top Bottom