changing shimano octalink bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
I have started to get an occasional squeak from the bb.no play in it just a squeak.
Would it work out cheaper for the lbs to change it as I dont have any of the special tools or extractors.My thoughts are that by the time ive bought the tools it could have been done by them.I have done nearly 10,000 miles on the current bb.So it would be a while before I used them again.I am not sure what I would need either.

Is it definitely the BB?

potsy

Rambler
Try taking the pedals off and regreasing the threads first?
If you do change it then you'd need a crank extractor and an octalink removal tool (just the socket if you have a large adjustable spanner) I did this on my Secteur a few years ago and it is quite straightforward :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
Another thing to try is the chainring bolts, if they come a bit loose there can be strange creaks and rattles from that area :thumbsup:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Likely to be the BB after that sort of mileage - but worth checking other suggestions as above. A perfectly adequate BB tool will cost about £7 and I assume you may have a crank extractor already - because it is PITA changing a chain ring without one...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the chain is oiled, then it is likely the BB.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Add an extra £5 for the extractor... and next time you change a chain ring you will find it much easer to remove the crank first.

I have started to get an occasional squeak from the bb.no play in it just a squeak.
Would it work out cheaper for the lbs to change it as I dont have any of the special tools or extractors.My thoughts are that by the time ive bought the tools it could have been done by them.I have done nearly 10,000 miles on the current bb.So it would be a while before I used them again.I am not sure what I would need either.
Wisdom, rule out the pedals / cranks before going towards the BB. I was driven crazy by squeaks and squawks coming from what I thought was the BB30. I took the bike out for a run and when pedalling discovered the noise lessened when the strain was taken of the drive side pedal. Brought the bike home and forced grease into the SPD mechanism and then re-greased the pedal threads and do you know what. Silence since then.

Just something to think about. Hate to see hard earned money being spent unnecessarily. Regards

Top Bottom