Charity Ride Tragedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Oh dear that is tragic :smile:

Roosta

This is awful. I passed the site of the accident heading west a couple of hours after it happened. Bits of bike all over the road. Had been desperately hoping that the bike had maybe fallen from a vehicle until I heard the news on the radio. Judging by the damage to the vehicle involved the poor guy couldn't have stood a chance. Still feel sick now. Wouldn't ride on this road though.

giantscr2.0

I agree with Roosta, I also passed the scene a few hours after the accident... Awful sight.
I would never ride on the A30, its bad enough driving on it.
The tragic news of cyclists being killed on Britains roads seems to be more and more lately. It is seriously affecting my motivation to ride, almost every ride I get cut up or get overtaken far too close for comfort.
My thoughts are with friends and family of both cyclists at this tragic time. I hope the injured rider makes a full recovery

Countless forums, blogs and articles say to stay away from the A30 when doing E2E.

I wonder if these guys read them?

I don't care about our right to ride. If there's information out there that enables you to play the percentages game to your advantage, you should take it.

North coast to LE everytime.

If you're reading this, get well soon.

Brains

Legendary Member
I have driven the A30 on a regular basis for over 30 years, that turning at Tedburn st Mary is probable one of the most dangerous on the entire road.

The A30 is not a cycle route

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is sad that this is yet another charity event death in the south west after such a recent discussion on the one last year.

Sam Kennedy

That sucks :eek: All that woman got was a slap on the wrist :eek:
I did actually nearly have a head on with a tractor this morning on a club ride, its a good job I looked up or I would have been bad news as well :eek:
I hope their families can cope with this, there really needs to be harsher penalties for bad driving.

This country is too soft.

User3143 said:
I thought it was a great road when I went on it. Fast, smooth, very enjoyable.

Very true Lee, this kind of post is not really aimed at skilled cyclists such as yourself though.

If any charity end to enders are reading this, please avoid the A30. There are plenty of other (longer) routes around.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think people get the message. Ultimately it is for people to make their own decisions about routes, all we can do is point out this view or that view. You're never going to get total agreement on whether a particular road is safe or not.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sam Kennedy said:
That sucks :angry: All that woman got was a slap on the wrist ;)

No, it doesn't say that. She was arrested and bailed. She may still be charged and sentenced. Not that I'm holding my breath, but just in the interests of accuracy.

Top Bottom