Cheap DVD players?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

OK, perhaps I should have posted in Electric Caff but it seems pretty dead there at the mo.

Anyone know of any good (and, more importantly, cheap - under £60 cheap) DVD players?

I have one that I bought from the supermarket and, after a year of faltering service, it just freezes on brand new DVDs, grrrr. Time to go.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Melvil said:
OK, perhaps I should have posted in Electric Caff but it seems pretty dead there at the mo.

Anyone know of any good (and, more importantly, cheap - under £60 cheap) DVD players?

I have one that I bought from the supermarket and, after a year of faltering service, it just freezes on brand new DVDs, grrrr. Time to go.

try currys and comet

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh you got a Tesco special then - we've got a Tesco special - it's off to the bin - lasted about 2 years, OK in a conservatory, so can't grumble...... totally disposable.... ish....

OP
OP
M

Melvil

fossyant said:
Oh you got a Tesco special then - we've got a Tesco special - it's off to the bin - lasted about 2 years, OK in a conservatory, so can't grumble...... totally disposable.... ish....

Exactly!

Mr Pig

We've got a Phillips one that we got in Tesco for about £30. It's absolutely fine. LINK Just make sure it's got all the outputs and features you need.

If you're plugging it into a surround-sound amp using its digital outputs there is absolutely no difference in performance between a £30 DVD player and a £300 one.

You can also input a code on this Phillips one that 'cracks' it so that it'll play disks from any region. You can do that with many players.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same one - ours won't display...really can't be bothered - cost £20 in Tesco - might get another as it lives in the conservatory for the kids........

PS conservatories aren't good for electrics..........OK ...so what................ hee hee.....

col

Legendary Member
We got one from superdrug a few years ago, it played everything, mp3 all the different burning modes, more than expensive ones, and it was only 20 quid.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Philips DVP5990. I think it's a waste of money though and for the budget involved you might as well either go cheaper or get a blu-ray player.

derall

Guru
Mr Pig said:
We've got a Phillips one that we got in Tesco for about £30. It's absolutely fine.

+1

Have a cheap Philips - likewise, cost about £30 but I think I got mine from Curry's - that I've been using without problem for about three or four years. Also plays CDs and MP3-CDs. Audio Out for connection to external speakers. Cheap but good piece of kit.

Mr Pig

For cheaper kit Richer Sounds is good, I find the staff quite down to earth and honest too. You do have to watch though as some of the stuff they sell is junk! Nice way to buy Hi-Fi though, much better than protencious Hi-End H-Fi shops!

That Phillips DVD player is a multi-region and plays just about all file formats too. It's also got a comprehensive set of outputs so it'll feed whatever sound system you like. I honestly don't see the point in spending more, and at the price you can just drop it in the wheely if it breaks.

yello

I got mine a few years back from Richer Sounds, a Mitzuda or some such. £30 to £40 mark if my memory serves me. Hasn't skipped a beat. I'm sure connoisseurs of dvd could point out its weaknesses but it does me.

Top Bottom