Cheap Merlin Single Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
No, but noticed on the SJS site, you can get a fixed frame for £29!

plasticniki

I bought one of these to give my road bike, which I use to commute on, a break. "Assembled" it last night (it says it's sold boxed, not built, but it came as "built" as other mail-order bikes come, so, fine) and rode it to work today.

Pretty, pretty pretty good. I've not ridden a single speed before (my only other current ride is a slightly-modified Triban 3 which I've been using to commute on and for weekends for long rides for about a year) and my commute in London, 12km each way, is fairly flat, so a single speed would be ideal. This rides nice, though I can feel the bumps way more than in my Triban. Getting up to speed from a stop was a bit of a shock this morning, but looking at Strava my speed/time was no different than normal, and I only assume this will improve. Brakes feel alright, though I will probably replace the pads with something else, as well as the tyres which feel rubbish, and I'd prefer bullhorns and SPD pedals. It's a bit heavy (I reckon 11kg), but I'm hoping this helps with the "bullet-proof"-ness?

Once I get stronger at starting I'll swap the hub over to fixed and have a go at that I think.

Mainly I think it's a decent buy if you want something for chucking about and something low-maintenance.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@plasticniki thanks for the comments , i have been using one of my single speed bikes the last few weeks and i find themjust as quick as my other bikes over most rides

glad to hear you are liking it please keep the thread updated

simongt

Guru
I've toyed with the idea of a single speed; not a fixie, for ages. The idea of being able to belt around the city on a light, no nonsense bike appeals to me. However, with the state of my ageing knees and not having any carrying capacity - I don't like using rucksacs on bikes for any distance - it may not come to pass - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've toyed with the idea of a single speed; not a fixie, for ages. The idea of being able to belt around the city on a light, no nonsense bike appeals to me. However, with the state of my ageing knees and not having any carrying capacity - I don't like using rucksacs on bikes for any distance - it may not come to pass - ! :rofl:

if ever you are near to Wellingborough give me a shout and you can try one of my single speeders

plasticniki

@plasticniki thanks for the comments , i have been using one of my single speed bikes the last few weeks and i find themjust as quick as my other bikes over most rides

glad to hear you are liking it please keep the thread updated

Will do!

I have nothing to compare it to. Was actually toying with the idea of getting something more expensive (Fuji Track / Feather, or a Specialized Langster), but as my main road bike only cost me £199 and has been a dream for a year, I can't justify spending more than that on a commuter / hack bike. If this keeps going for a year (I'm hoping more) to work and back and if I can do maintenance myself (I'm fine with brakes and chains, I guess it's servicing stuff like hubs and headsets and truing wheels / fixing spokes I won't be able to do) I will be very pleased.

Top Bottom