----

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
It's not a closed road event. No one can/will stop you riding the route the same day. Do what hundreds of other cyclists do on the day and tag along the ride.
Hundreds ?? More like thousands. I got chatting with a copper on the route onetime when the official entry was 27,000. He said the police estimate was that 80,000 arrive on the front in Brighton.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
BHF London-to-Brighton? Avoid. Vast cost, vast numbers, impossible to get a train out of Brighton until mid-morning the next day.
FNRttC London-to-Brighton sign up here £2 per year for membership and gives access to 12 rides, plus two tours of Europe through four countries. Simples.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
BHF London-to-Brighton? Avoid. Vast cost, vast numbers, impossible to get a train out of Brighton until mid-morning the next day.
FNRttC London-to-Brighton sign up here £2 per year for membership and gives access to 12 rides, plus two tours of Europe through four countries. Simples.
+1.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Very busy at the BHF event on the hills.
I entered officially in 1995 and had to walk almost every hill for the first half of the ride. Very frustrating, as I liked to attack every hill at that age.
The field thinned out in the 2nd half thankfully.

Very fond memories of the final few miles with the public lining the streets and cheering. I still grin when I think of the sprint for the finish line - the crowds made it feel like the Tour de France.

The BHF event must be full by now, so you can:
a) gatecrash - go late if want the atmosphere, or early if you want to cycle!
b) find another (cheaper) charity event on a different date if you want the satisfaction of supporting a good cause.
c) do a solo ride in your own time, or join a group ride as suggested by others

Katherine

Guru
Plus 1 for looking into Sky Rides Local.
Also have a look on Facebook for informal cycle groups in your area.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am happy to pay the entry fee but know there is no way I would be able to raise the full £200

I love the idea of joining in with the comradery, don't like the idea of feeling like I'm freeloading (especially a charity! :cycle:)

Maybe I can just pay what I can? I wonder how strict they are once you've registered/signed up

Great to see the other options available, seem to be a lot of fun Facebook groups to join in with too :okay:

It's very easy to raise sponsorship money, all you have to do is ask enough people and you will find they're very generous and supportive. If you sign up and get a just giving/virgin giving page post if up here. I'll give you a tenner to get you started.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As has been said several times. Just ride the route (you can't get lost!) and then give a donation to BHF in one of their shops if you wish to assuage your conscience.
Make sure you have a way of getting home from Brighton though. Usually, I stay the night and ride back on the Monday.
If I do it this year, it'll be there and back on the Sunday.
Enjoy your riding :okay:

Top Bottom