----

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thats a very generous thing to do @CarlP :okay:

A few years ago I posted a thread in CC about the Fragrant MrsP running the London marathon the brilliant and generous CC folks donated over £200. I didn't ask for donations, I just wrote about the event, people here were very generous.

Her minimum target as required by the charity was £2500.00 , she actually raised £3611.00 she was in the top three fundraisers for Cancer Research that year. The following year we raised together between us £1300 for DEBRA ( min target was £450.00 each) It was a real PIA fund raising, but my point is if you have the will you can do it, all it requires is application.

Having said all that we are NEVER doing it again. It is a lot of work.

hatler

Guru
Just worried about being stopped and told to either pay or go home!
That won't happen. Last year we joined a few miles North of Ditchling and carried on all the way to the finish, including going through the official finish line and all the kids with us (seven IIRC) had no shame in accepting a finisher's medal. No hint of anyone trying to stop gatecrashers. It is an impossibility.

hatler

Guru
I am happy to pay the entry fee but know there is no way I would be able to raise the full £200

I love the idea of joining in with the comradery, don't like the idea of feeling like I'm freeloading (especially a charity! :cycle:)

Maybe I can just pay what I can? I wonder how strict they are once you've registered/signed up

Great to see the other options available, seem to be a lot of fun Facebook groups to join in with too :okay:
Some people gate crash the ride and then simply make a donation to BHF for something approaching the entry fee.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
BHF London-to-Brighton? Avoid. Vast cost, vast numbers, impossible to get a train out of Brighton until mid-morning the next day.
FNRttC London-to-Brighton sign up here £2 per year for membership and gives access to 12 rides, plus two tours of Europe through four countries. Simples.
what he says

StuartG

slower but further
Not just FNRttC (though I hope to be riding their June expedition to Brighton). Our club does Brighton once or twice a year and anyone is welcome to join us. No sub until you are happy to join or have done more than 5 rides. Then £15 a year to enjoy up to three rides a week into Surrey, Sussex & Kent. Done at conversational pace and maxing out on cafes and pubs. Other clubs go faster and eat and drink less.

BHF charity rides don't compare to friendly club cycling. And the charities benefit more if you gift-aid direct than paying the middlemen to crowd you out of any chance of relaxed cycling for folks like me or speedy cycling for the strava types.

Top Bottom