Cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimmyC

Regular
I was watching the 2nd stage of the Tour de France 2016, and during a break one of the commentators mentioned that the Tour was using infrared scopes to find electric motors in bikes.

Being an American, I was truly embarrassed and ashamed when the truth came out about Lance Armstrong. I think everyone knows that dirty story, but I'm still appalled that riders from all over the globe are still cheating, and especially ballsy by using hidden electric motors. These dopers and cheaters try to portray themselves as hero's from their respective homelands, but I see them as posers and losers.

I may be incorrect, but I would guess that , the tour de France is probably the most prestigious and well known bicycling race in the world. However, it appears that it also hosts some of the most corrupt and phony racers and teams in the world.

I think it's reputation will eventually be soiled to the point that it will no longer be taken seriously, but be viewed more as a recreational way to see who can come up with the most innovative technology, as far as assisting "racers", and with little emphasis on the physical condition and skills of the riders themselves. In fact, riders may just become that, riders, only spinning when absolutely necessary to keep from tipping over.

Sorry for being so cynical, but it's sad that one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world, is becoming the butt of many jokes, as a pack of cheaters and who can be the most devious in finding ways to hide their methods be they drugs or assisting devices.

Any thoughts?

J.

classic33

Leg End Member
You want to try the mechanical doping, it'll cost you £500.
Or there's the bottom bracket that's actually a motor.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Welcome to the forum.

1. There are already at least two threads about mechancial doping here - they are worth a read.

2. There's no evidence that 'riders all over the globe' are using motors. There are some and he numbers are probably tiny. Testing of bikes and in-race detection are partly there to make sure that it stays that way and no-one is tempted to try to get away with it. Nothing to make anyone ashamed or fear for the future of the sport.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And although every time doping in sports comes up in the press there's a picture of a cyclist even if it's nothing to do with cycling, it's only by thorough monitoring that cycling can reestablish credibility. Other sports still have their scandals to come out, I fear.

Catweasel

And although every time doping in sports comes up in the press there's a picture of a cyclist even if it's nothing to do with cycling, it's only by thorough monitoring that cycling can reestablish credibility. Other sports still have their scandals to come out, I fear.

I'm waiting for the great Lawn Green Bowling scandal to break - it's gonna happen - most of those players are on some drug or another.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think cycling is going the right way when it comes to cleaning their act up. Lance Armstrong getting caught was one of the best things that could happen for the sport. If he could get toppled anyone could. I would still like to see all previous outed dopers banned from the sport for life. I would like to see any proven dopers banned from professional cycling , in any position, for life. They might sit up and listen if they knew what was coming. I have seen the cases for Electronic Doping and I don't think that will become a common occurance. Its too easy to get caught and have it proved.

OP
OP
J

JimmyC

Regular
Welcome to the forum.

1. There are already at least two threads about mechancial doping here - they are worth a read.

2. There's no evidence that 'riders all over the globe' are using motors. There are some and he numbers are probably tiny. Testing of bikes and in-race detection are partly there to make sure that it stays that way and no-one is tempted to try to get away with it. Nothing to make anyone ashamed or fear for the future of the sport.
I don't think I said people "all over the globe" were using electric motors, but cheating is, whether it be doping, using drugs that haven't been banned yet, etc., aren't restricted to just a couple of riders. Cheating has been pretty much an international thing, not just limited to one or two nefarious folks. At least that's what I meant to convey. The title of my post was "cheating" and isn't limited only to electric motors, it was just the fact that the race has to be monitored with infrared technology to stop people from trying to use them, really sheds a bad light on the sport.

I'm still appalled that riders from all over the globe are still cheating, and especially ballsy by using hidden electric motors.

I don't think I said people "all over the globe" were using electric motors, but cheating is, whether it be doping, using drugs that haven't been banned yet, etc., aren't restricted to just a couple of riders.

You sure?

And are there instances of "ballsy" people being found using motors in the pro peloton? Surely better to test for something that is known to be available?

Certainly much better than being complicit in the doping like in Armstrong's days.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Its only a current way that people can try and cheat and only a current way that the authorities can try to catch them at it.
It is just this testing by its nature occurs in the heat of the race and glare of the cameras rather than on a subsequent phial of blood or pot of urine at a Lab.
The ethos is no different and I'm not sure live urine testing from Lucerne would make for a fascinating TV broadcast.

Motorsports vehicles are scrutinised for weight, aerodynamic etc infringements but it can't be done mid race so doesn't get the same publicly as this will whilst it is still a new and interesting turn of events.

You seem unaware of the bredth & history of cycling generally and the Tour de France beyond of the glare of Armstrong. Many of the same riders and teams in France now were racing the Tour of California a couple of months ago and they race at events around the world almost year round.

It all has a far murkier history than a bloke on a motorbike with a heat detector and Lance didn't invent cheating or professional cycling.

Have a look at the 1998 edition of the tour as a point in time to see how widespread and publicly disgraced it can get as the flagship event of global cycling and still survive and thrive.

Cycling is arguably the most honest in professional sports because it has been forced to face its demons and continues to make more visible and more credible efforts than most other sports to combat them.

Tin Pot

Guru
I was watching the 2nd stage of the Tour de France 2016, and during a break one of the commentators mentioned that the Tour was using infrared scopes to find electric motors in bikes.

Being an American, I was truly embarrassed and ashamed when the truth came out about Lance Armstrong. I think everyone knows that dirty story, but I'm still appalled that riders from all over the globe are still cheating, and especially ballsy by using hidden electric motors. These dopers and cheaters try to portray themselves as hero's from their respective homelands, but I see them as posers and losers.

I may be incorrect, but I would guess that , the tour de France is probably the most prestigious and well known bicycling race in the world. However, it appears that it also hosts some of the most corrupt and phony racers and teams in the world.

I think it's reputation will eventually be soiled to the point that it will no longer be taken seriously, but be viewed more as a recreational way to see who can come up with the most innovative technology, as far as assisting "racers", and with little emphasis on the physical condition and skills of the riders themselves. In fact, riders may just become that, riders, only spinning when absolutely necessary to keep from tipping over.

Sorry for being so cynical, but it's sad that one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world, is becoming the butt of many jokes, as a pack of cheaters and who can be the most devious in finding ways to hide their methods be they drugs or assisting devices.

Any thoughts?

J.

Cheating is rife in all sports, at all levels.

It's about time that "sports fans" grew up and accepted this.

gavintc

Guru

Any thoughts?

J.
If you want to gain an awareness of drugs in sport - have a look at the drug taking in the US version of rounders (baseball)

Booyaa

Veteran
I don't think I said people "all over the globe" were using electric motors, but cheating is, whether it be doping, using drugs that haven't been banned yet, etc., aren't restricted to just a couple of riders. Cheating has been pretty much an international thing, not just limited to one or two nefarious folks. At least that's what I meant to convey. The title of my post was "cheating" and isn't limited only to electric motors, it was just the fact that the race has to be monitored with infrared technology to stop people from trying to use them, really sheds a bad light on the sport.

It sounds to me like you are attempting to say that Armstrong was just doing what everyone else was and America are not the only cheats.

Quite an odd thread none the less. Especially when there are "cheats" in every major sport in the world.

Welcome to the board pal.

Top Bottom