Child obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I read something interesting the other day that i didn't know and i'm still not sure about it but it said ......
By the time a person is around 16 years of age their fat cells ( probably the wrong term ) will dictate how fat they can get later in life .
The reason this interested me is because i was always a skinny kid doing gymnastics early on and then rugby and running at school . Now i'm in my 40's i get worried that i'm not putting on weight but according to this information it's because i just cant .
Anyone more edumactated than me have an opinion on this ?

Reactions: 2IT

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Yes I have an opinion on it, it varies from the expert one. I feel anyone on the wrong diet can become obese.
That's also my thinking but i cant seem to put it on no matter what i eat . Then again if i eat crap food for too long then i just feel like shoot so stop eating it . I guess i'm just not strong enough to get fat :cry:

Reactions: 2IT

vickster

Legendary Member
That's also my thinking but i cant seem to put it on no matter what i eat . Then again if i eat crap food for too long then i just feel like shoot so stop eating it . I guess i'm just not strong enough to get fat :cry:
Maybe you have an underlying health condition? Thyroid been tested?

I log every calorie I eat, I also log every exercise I do. As to be honest, I'm a terrible eater, and it helps me to lose weight.

Ignoring all the fad diets, losing weight is a case of using more calories than taking in, if you take in more calories than you use, you will gain weight.

If you take those calories with excess protein and have muscles under strain you will build muscle. If not, you will end up with fat.

So if you can't put weight on, you're simply not taking in enough calories.

Keep a food log, something like MyFitnessPal on a smartphone makes it easy. Look at what calories you take in, and weigh yourself weekly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I read something interesting the other day that i didn't know and i'm still not sure about it but it said ......
By the time a person is around 16 years of age their fat cells ( probably the wrong term ) will dictate how fat they can get later in life .
The reason this interested me is because i was always a skinny kid doing gymnastics early on and then rugby and running at school . Now i'm in my 40's i get worried that i'm not putting on weight but according to this information it's because i just cant .
Anyone more edumactated than me have an opinion on this ?
IIRC you heard correctly.
By about 16 you've laid down the total number of fat cells that you'll have in your life time BUT that doesn't mean they can't get bigger later in life .... which is what they often do!

Top Bottom