Children's music lessons..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:

A long time!
I played the Oboe when younger. A beautiful instrument but damned hard to play. Some 30 years on I've just taken-up the Saxaphone (my younger daughter quit, so it seemed like a good opportunity). I've had 3 lessons so far and am playing Grade 3 pieces (The oboe playing still lodged in my memory, the fingerings are virtuallyt identical). I'm struggling with "Misty" at the mo, it's the triplets that keep getting me confused!

If she's playing an instrument, enjoy!

Mr Pig

I've got one son learning the drums and one the guitar. I think a lot has to do with their aptitude for it, my two seem to have what it takes but if you swapped them round it might be different.

Good music, great film.

yoyo

Kids cast off instruments give a great chance to learn. We have a French horn and a cello. I got a merit for Grade 3 French horn with no lessons but I seem to have little aptitude for strings. I'd love to have a cast off oboe; it's by far the most beautiful instrument there is. In my younger days I studied piano and organ - still play the organ professionally and love it. IME the best way to enable kids to achieve is to wait for them to find the instrument that hits the spot with them, arrange lessons, ensure they practice enough daily to improve - about 10 mins initially - and allow the teacher to lead the way. Pushy parents are the most guaranteed way to eventually impede the child's ability to reach its full potential.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Took me about 5 or 6 years to get to that standard on the oboe. Be prepared for a few months of it sounding like a quacking duck to start with...

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

HelenD123 said:
Took me about 5 or 6 years to get to that standard on the oboe. Be prepared for a few months of it sounding like a quacking duck to start with...

I've already had a couple of years of it. This week it's the Skye Boat Song, and a medley of songs from Shrek 3...at least I think that's what it is! ;)

Top Bottom