Chinese Carbon wheels shatter whilst riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It looks like the wheel hit something, maybe a curb, pothole, etc.

Without knowing what happened it's difficult to comment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmm... a wheel isn't like a frame component where the stresses are often well spread and the component is one of two in parallel. If it breaks you're on your noggin.

OP
OP
SamR

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
My thoughts after thinking for a bit: if cheaply made (I assume) carbon can fail in this way in a wheel, how does this reflect on the fake Chinese Pinarellos and other knockoff frames? Are they likely to fail as badly, even if as @Globalti suggested, it's normally one of two in parallel?

vickster

Legendary Member
My thoughts after thinking for a bit: if cheaply made (I assume) carbon can fail in this way in a wheel, how does this reflect on the fake Chinese Pinarellos and other knockoff frames? Are they likely to fail as badly, even if as @Globalti suggested, it's normally one of two in parallel?
I am sure there are plenty of pictures out there of broken Chinarello frames. Any carbon frame can break, but if you buy from a UK retailer with a warranty attached and a brand with an image to protect, you should get attentive aftercare

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I wouldn't buy carbon rimmed clinchers. I know Zipp are saying that theirs are now fine, but I would stick to tubs if all carbon and you are doing any remotely hilly riding. You do see plenty of failures on carbon clinchers. Far more so than the scare stories of carbon frames. I would consider carbon clinchers with an alloy braking surface though.
I have ridden a cheap as chips carbon frame from the China for the last 14000 miles and it has been faultless. There is a lot talked about China and carbon fibre and the one genuine issue seems to be clinchers. There is a known issue with clinchers and overheating and the bottom end stuff doesn't hack it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't understand the fascination with carbon for wheels; it's brittle and terrible for braking and the carbon wheels I've examined weren't really much lighter than my Ksyrium SLs, which have given me five years of excellent reliable service on terrible roads and are still as true as the day they were built. At least with aluminium you will get a warning in the form of a gradual collapse, cracks around the eyelets or a rim blowing out under pressure, which is less catastrophic than a sudden complete collapse.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They only really make a difference when you are travelling at 20mph plus which is why testers tend to use them. On your everyday 17 to 18 mph club run it is bling rather than gain on many occasions.

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a Mavic rim let go in a big way a while back, so idiot put a pot hole in the wrong place. I am yet to have a problem with a carbon rim, for one very good reason.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can't understand the fascination with carbon for wheels; it's brittle and terrible for braking and the carbon wheels I've examined weren't really much lighter than my Ksyrium SLs, which have given me five years of excellent reliable service on terrible roads and are still as true as the day they were built. At least with aluminium you will get a warning in the form of a gradual collapse, cracks around the eyelets or a rim blowing out under pressure, which is less catastrophic than a sudden complete collapse.

Really? You honestly can't work it out?

Top Bottom