England : Greater Manchester Chocolate Cafe/East Lancs Railway ride Saturday 22-11-14.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
ETA: We leave from Chorlton Green in front to the Horse and Jockey (bottom of Beech Road) at 09.30.
http://www.horseandjockeychorlton.com/

I'm running this ride again.
It's largely off-road although eminently rideable on skinny tyred road bikes and pretty flat (one longish drag from Tottington to Holcombe Brook and a short, sharp rise near Haslingden Golf Club).
Lunch is at the Chocolate Cafe in Ramsbottom and we return from Rawtenstall to Bury via the East Lancs Railway.
Bury back to MCR is along the A56 unless we decide to drop onto NCN6 again.

ChorltonCH to Rawtenstall is 27 miles, Bury to CCH is 14 miles.

I tend to crack the whip a little before lunch since I want us to get to the cafe as near to 12.00 as possible to ensure we get seats (we can't reserve) but after that we have loads of time to get to Rawtenstall for the 15.15 train.
The train was late last year so we amused ourselves in the real ale pub on the platform.

We'll be leaving ChorltonCH at 09.30 and I can arrange to meet people at MCR stations (although that will miss the Ship Canal section) at around 10.00.
Assuming no delays, I would expect to get back to MCR at around 17.00.

You'll need lights and, if you're a faster rider, it's probably worth bringing an extra layer 'cos there can be a bit of waiting around at the re-groups.

You'll notice that I haven't crow-barred my "Upper Ramsbottom" joke in there.

Peter's write-up of last year's ride is here:- https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78520.0

Last year's "advertisement":- https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76600.0 (contains pictures, the route and the aforementioned joke.)

Please let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:
I would be interested - with my OH if that is OK please....

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Sometime in the next couple of weeks; I like to let the cafe know that we're coming and approximately how many of us there are. While we can't "book" tables, in the past they've tried to leave us some room.

What part of Manchester are you from/do you live in Katherine ?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Depending on shift pattern, I'm up for this. I'll drop off at Grotty Rotty as I live in the vicinity.

I am still not allowed out to play as the bones are still not joined together, so I will not be able to make it.
Have a good ride and I hope the weather is good for you. Last years was cold to start with, but got better as the day went on.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Hi Andrew, long time :smile:

Id be up for this

Im not far from Chorlton, so could meet in Chorlton

Yo ! John !
It'll be great to see you.
Bring a coat; it's a bit stop-start and I know you get cold quickly.

I am still not allowed out to play as the bones are still not joined together, so I will not be able to make it.
Have a good ride and I hope the weather is good for you. Last years was cold to start with, but got better as the day went on.

Sad news Martin but better to heal properly.
Next year ? :cheers:.

Top Bottom