church stretton - reccomended routes for road rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
Hello
I'm going to be staying in Church Stretton for 3 days a week on Saturday for a cycling holiday.
I'm looking for suggestions on road rides. I could plot some out myself on mapmyride, but local knowledge is preferred.
Has anyone got some routes or roads they've done or would reccomend? Between 50 and 70 miles starting and stopping in Church Stretton?

thanks in advance

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hello
I'm going to be staying in Church Stretton for 3 days a week on Saturday for a cycling holiday.
I'm looking for suggestions on road rides. I could plot some out myself on mapmyride, but local knowledge is preferred.
Has anyone got some routes or roads they've done or would reccomend? Between 50 and 70 miles starting and stopping in Church Stretton?

thanks in advance
You might try PM-ing @gavgav or @Rickshaw Phil. (Their neck of the woods, I believe).

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I've only done a bit of cycling round there, but Church Stretton is at the foot of the Long Mynd, which is etched on my brain as an amazing bit of road.......to cycle down, its a pig in the other direction. I made it my destination and cycled there and back from my folks in Mid Wales, here is part of the route I did that day before the GPS crashed.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/882266

And if you want to see the Long Mynd descent in film, here's me cycling down it in 2012, whooping about how awesome it is in a lost for words, wow type way most of the way down, so you may prefer to mute it, and its pretty windy. It starts going down fast with the nice views from 2m 30s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96liGiKKfuk

I also remember cycling to the Stiperstones which was also pretty good, around Corndon and some nice pubs in Bishops Castle, from where you can cycle over the Kerry Ridgeway depending on how far you want to go, it will be deserted and has pretty epic views but is proper hilly. Its pretty good cycling all around there if you stay off the main roads I think, so you can't go far wrong, as mentioned I'm sure someone more local can give you some further tips.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I cycled back from Church Stretton to South Manchester with 400bhp last summer. We stopped at the Cycle Cafe at Audlem about half way which was very nice and could be a good target to head for. The roads were lovely and not much traffic. I will try to find the ride on Strava. You would need to plot a return route or head back the way you came.

gavgav

Guru
Hi @Schneil

Church Stretton is a brilliant base for cycling, as long as you enjoy hills!

Firstly, avoid the A49 if at all possible, carries way too much traffic, going too fast and passing too closely, as there are so many quiet lanes to use instead.

If you are looking for distance, you could take routes down to Ludlow and across to Montgomery, @Rickshaw Phil will know that area better than me though.

Going north, one of my favourite routes is to Cardington, Kenley, Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Shrewsbury and then you could return via Condover, Longnor, etc.

You could also head over Wenlock Edge, to Bridgnorth, Ironbridge and the east of Shropshire.

Going west there are nice lanes around Melverley, Crew Green, etc and into Wales.

Feel free to look at my posts in the "Your Ride Today" thread, for more ideas.

Not sure what your food plans are, but some brilliant pubs are situated in the vicinity of Church Stretton, in particular The Ragleth (Little Stretton) The Green Dragon (Little Stretton) The Royal Oak (Cardington)

Hope this helps

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Someone called? :hello:

Shropshire is something of an undiscovered cyclists playground so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some good riding. Avoid the trunk A roads (A49, A5 and A458 for example) as these are very busy and no fun at all.

Church Stretton offers quite a range of options. Obviously given the location you've got some really challenging hills with the Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Wenlock Edge on your doorstep. If you want something a bit flatter, head north through All Stretton and join the old Roman road to Acton Burnell and beyond which gives a quieter route to the Shrewsbury area.

Unfortunately I don't use GPS so haven't got any files to share. However, a rough route suggestion to see some of the good bits of the area would be to head east out of Church Stretton to Hope Bowdler. South on the lanes and quiet B roads to Ludlow (going left then right through Stanton Lacy to avoid the A49). West through the Mortimer Forest to Leintwardine. North on the B4385 through Bishop's Castle and onwards to Montgomery. Northeast passing the foot of the Long Mountain using the B4386 to Brockton where you can either stay on this road as far as Nox then turn right taking the minor roads to Exfords Green or turn right onto the B4489 heading through Minsterley and Pontesbury before turning off through Plealey and Longden to get to Exfords Green.

From Exfords Green head towards Hunger Hill and take a left then immediate right to cross the A49 and drop into Condover. Take the road to Cantlop and turn right (south) for Pitchford and Acton Burnell then follow the old roman road which will lead you through Hollyhurst and another crossing of the A49 into All Stretton.

Distance wise, this should be around the 70-75 mile mark and there are options to shorten it if wanted.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I cycled back from Church Stretton to South Manchester with 400bhp last summer. We stopped at the Cycle Cafe at Audlem about half way which was very nice and could be a good target to head for. The roads were lovely and not much traffic. I will try to find the ride on Strava. You would need to plot a return route or head back the way you came.
Here is the route we took. Obviously on the first half is relevant.

https://www.strava.com/activities/364157221/overview

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran

Shropshire is something of an undiscovered cyclists playground so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some good riding. Avoid the trunk A roads (A49, A5 and A458 for example) as these are very busy and no fun at all.

Church Stretton offers quite a range of options. Obviously given the location you've got some really challenging hills with the Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Wenlock Edge on your doorstep. If you want something a bit flatter, head north through All Stretton and join the old Roman road to Acton Burnell and beyond which gives a quieter route to the Shrewsbury area.

Unfortunately I don't use GPS so haven't got any files to share. However, a rough route suggestion to see some of the good bits of the area would be to head east out of Church Stretton to Hope Bowdler. South on the lanes and quiet B roads to Ludlow (going left then right through Stanton Lacy to avoid the A49). West through the Mortimer Forest to Leintwardine. North on the B4385 through Bishop's Castle and onwards to Montgomery. Northeast passing the foot of the Long Mountain using the B4386 to Brockton where you can either stay on this road as far as Nox then turn right taking the minor roads to Exfords Green or turn right onto the B4489 heading through Minsterley and Pontesbury before turning off through Plealey and Longden to get to Exfords Green.

From Exfords Green head towards Hunger Hill and take a left then immediate right to cross the A49 and drop into Condover. Take the road to Cantlop and turn right (south) for Pitchford and Acton Burnell then follow the old roman road which will lead you through Hollyhurst and another crossing of the A49 into All Stretton.

Distance wise, this should be around the 70-75 mile mark and there are options to shorten it if wanted.

Gosh that sounds good! I'll have a go at plotting your route on mapmyride and post it up on here.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Hi @Schneil

Firstly, avoid the A49 if at all possible, carries way too much traffic, going too fast and passing too closely, as there are so many quiet lanes to use instead.

If you are looking for distance, you could take routes down to Ludlow and across to Montgomery, @Rickshaw Phil will know that area better than me though.

Going north, one of my favourite routes is to Cardington, Kenley, Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Shrewsbury and then you could return via Condover, Longnor, etc.

You could also head over Wenlock Edge, to Bridgnorth, Ironbridge and the east of Shropshire.

Going west there are nice lanes around Melverley, Crew Green, etc and into Wales.

Not sure what your food plans are, but some brilliant pubs are situated in the vicinity of Church Stretton, in particular The Ragleth (Little Stretton) The Green Dragon (Little Stretton) The Royal Oak (Cardington)

Hope this helps
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll definitely have a look at your posts, sounds good dude!

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
I've only done a bit of cycling round there, but Church Stretton is at the foot of the Long Mynd, which is etched on my brain as an amazing bit of road.......to cycle down, its a pig in the other direction. I made it my destination and cycled there and back from my folks in Mid Wales, here is part of the route I did that day before the GPS crashed.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/882266

And if you want to see the Long Mynd descent in film, here's me cycling down it in 2012, whooping about how awesome it is in a lost for words, wow type way most of the way down, so you may prefer to mute it, and its pretty windy. It starts going down fast with the nice views from 2m 30s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96liGiKKfuk

I also remember cycling to the Stiperstones which was also pretty good, around Corndon and some nice pubs in Bishops Castle, from where you can cycle over the Kerry Ridgeway depending on how far you want to go, it will be deserted and has pretty epic views but is proper hilly. Its pretty good cycling all around there if you stay off the main roads I think, so you can't go far wrong, as mentioned I'm sure someone more local can give you some further tips.

That descent looks epic. It looks like one to try on the way back, I think it nearly goes past where we;re staying

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran

@Rickshaw Phil

https://www.strava.com/routes/6630524

Does this look about right?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, that's pretty much the route I had in mind. I notice it's come out at 80 miles. Slight underestimation on my part.:blush:

You could bring it down nearer to the distance I said by altering the route at the 105km mark and going from Exfords Green through Stapleton, Gonsall, Great Ryton and Longnor.

There is one bit of road I haven't ridden on your version which is the section from Purslow to Brockton on the approach to Bishop's Castle so I can't comment on the steepness of the hills or the quality of that road.

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Yes, that's pretty much the route I had in mind. I notice it's come out at 80 miles. Slight underestimation on my part.:blush:

You could bring it down nearer to the distance I said by altering the route at the 105km mark and going from Exfords Green through Stapleton, Gonsall, Great Ryton and Longnor.

There is one bit of road I haven't ridden on your version which is the section from Purslow to Brockton on the approach to Bishop's Castle so I can't comment on the steepness of the hills or the quality of that road.
Many thanks Phil. Not sure we'll do the full route in one go, (the weather looks foul on Saturday) but it's given me something to work with :smile:

OP
OP
S

Schneil

Veteran
Hi @Schneil

Hope this helps

@gavgav

I was messing about with strava routebuilder on the places you suggested. What do you think of the following?
Church stretton - shrewsbury loop https://www.strava.com/routes/6657944
church stretton - Ironbridge loop https://www.strava.com/routes/6666561

Top Bottom