Clip pedals- first crash...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

Well I read about this and looked at all the threads and it finally happened on yesterday's ride.

I've been out a few times and just passed my first 50 miles when I got to the hill outside Edinburgh, by this time I was tired and ran out of steam halfway up the hill, no time to twist my foot and ended up falling like a tree onto the verge and the grass with the bike still attached.

Nothing hurt, only my pride and a scrape on the bike but I lay there for a couple of mins hoping nobody saw it. All part of the learning process ha ha...

Last edited:

davdandy

We have all done it Hutch.And not only once.All part of the learning curve.

13 rider

Guru
Your a proper cyclist now .luckily nobody saw you and nobody knows apart from everyone on here and most of us have probably done it . I can't possible comment :secret: OK three times so far

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When I had my first clip less moment, technically I wasn't even cycling. I stopped to check directions and have a drink, with my left foot on the kerb and right foot still clipped in. Replaced the water bottle with my right hand and over balanced. Cue ignominious sideways descent to tarmac. Fortunately quiet road at 8am and no bystanders. :giggle:

jnrmczip

Yip happened to me a couple of weeks ago at some cross roads only about 200 cars sitting watching haha managed to fall quite decent though and was up and off after a short wave to the spectators

Doobiesis

Über Member
Same here, fell off in rush hour with all traffic stopped both ways! And it was very embarrassing. Only just stopped falling off if I'm honest :smile:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Nearly happened yesterday - filtering on the outside of the second of two lanes when someone on the inside just swung outwards without warning. Rammed on the brakes and was fortunate enough to be going nice and slow but at the same time, I shifted the derailleur to small by accident and for some reason, tried to spin backwards, resulting in chainsuck. Wobbly, wobbly, wobbly and threw myself outwards to avoid falling into the car (no oncoming traffic :smile: )...luckily my feet came free...twisted my lower back a bit, mind.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had 2 in my first year.
  • I came back with a bleeding leg. My OH asked "where were you when it happened" and I said "on my arse in the middle of the road" :smile: :smile:
  • On my hard tail at the end of a 27 miler..........a diversion took me through a supermarket car park and (foolishly) I thought I could ride through the split barrier..........as I fell off my first though was oh s$%t..........I was right next to a group of school girls. I still go red faced when thinking about it.
It must help you focus more though.........I dont think it will happen again (fingers crossed).

Fubar

Guru
Well I read about this and looked at all the threads and it finally happened on yesterday's ride.

I've been out a few times and just passed my first 50 miles when I got to the hill outside Edinburgh, by this time I was tired and ran out of steam halfway up the hill, no time to twist my foot and ended up falling like a tree onto the verge and the grass with the bike still attached.

Nothing hurt, only my pride and a scrape on the bike but I lay there for a couple of mins hoping nobody saw it. All part of the learning process ha ha...

Welcome to the club! I came off twice in one day, once at the railway bridge in the centre of Dunfermline and once right outside the house - pigeons learn faster than me!

Whereabouts in fife are you?

young Ed

Veteran
i had a few wobbles but always saved them and managed to stay upright and had one actual fall.... i raced along a strava segment and by the time i had finished i was shot and forgot to unclip and down a went! on a small country back road with no one about :biggrin:
for some reason since i have been properly riding clipless when ever i hop on someones flat pedalled bike i can't ride it, it feels like the pedal wobbles like it has a bent axle! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

lee1980sim

Having just changed to clipless (really didn't like the free system ex one a friend gave me, probably why he gave them away) I haven't fallen off, yet, however while practicing the muscle memory thing in the house I wobbled into the wife, she wasn't happy, even less so when I said couples are meant to 'support' each other

Top Bottom