Clipless or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
so I have both SPD pedals and decent alloy flat MTB pedals for my bike. I also have a pair of MTB shoes. Question is can I use my shoes with the flat pedals, although I like the feel of the bike with the clipless it just seems to be one more thing to think about when coming to a stop. I've only just started riding and have recently broken a leg playing football, so is it better just to get straight back into using the clipless or start back with the flats and have a bit more confidence.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Use the flats for a while until you build your confidence.

You are used to flats and there is less danger of any mishaps.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'd also say use the flats for a while.
Personally I can't use anything else due to balance issues, so a nice pair of grippy flats is perfect for me :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another one for using the flats. I hate the idea of being clipped in anyway. I know some people love it, but it's not for me. Ever.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Clipless all the way if you have them already, else you might get into a negative mind-set about them. I found I slipped around a lot and had to work that little bit harder with flats, which could put extra stress on that healing leg of yours...plus I like feeling connected.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm still on flats, but pondering clipless. I use clipless for the turbo trainer, and have now scored some nice Specialized Carbon Road Shoes for look cleats. $3.00 at a local charity store. I'll train in them this winter, then see how it goes in the spring, on the road.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have a mix and match approach (but not on the same bike). As far as I can see, there really is no firm evidence of the suggested benefits of clipless pedals. I have only put them on my "best" bike because flats would look a bit odd.

BrynCP

Über Member
I'd say go clipless. Those first few times you will spend more time concentrating on making sure you unclip, but eventually it just becomes natural.

I have a mix and match approach (but not on the same bike). As far as I can see, there really is no firm evidence of the suggested benefits of clipless pedals. I have only put them on my "best" bike because flats would look a bit odd.

I'm not sure about the speed benefits etc. but I certainly haven't had my foot slip off my clipless pedals and had the pedal come back around and whack me in the leg :laugh:

Just to echo what others have said, you get use to them it really does become second nature actually one of the easier tasks on a bike, and like a couple have said not sure about speed benefits but definitely better than flats, I am spinning better on them these days, but that has took more practise than getting use to clipping in (which actually when you start is harder than unclipping) and out.

Top Bottom