Clipless pedals that i can also use as flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scuderia

Hello,

I want to get some clip in SPD pedals for a new road bike. It will be my commuter as well as my weekend playmate. I want to be able to clip in when I commute and ride for pleasure but also want the option of riding without clipping in if I ever need to pop to the shops or do a quick ride.

I've heard bad things about single sided pedals so I want to avoid them. Are there any pedals that have enough grip that you could just use trainers on and ignore the mechanism? Preferably not too bulky.

Thanks

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
Shimano A530 should do you. I've had a pair for a few years now. Very reliable.

OP
OP
S

Scuderia

Shimano A530 should do you. I've had a pair for a few years now. Very reliable.
Sorry my above post should have said I wanted to avoid single sided not 2 sided pedals. Heard they can be a pain to clip into after junctions etc.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sorry my above post should have said I wanted to avoid single sided not 2 sided pedals. Heard they can be a pain to clip into after junctions etc.
I've been using these for seven years & thousands of miles- flats for my commute, SPDs for morning rides and weekends. Never had much of a problem clipping in, or getting the flat side. If the pedal's the wrong way round you only need to flip it...

outlash

also available in orange

So do you want single, double sided or flats? I would imagine Shimano use much the same mechanism on most of their pedals. I've got the aforementioned A530's and double sided pedals on my bikes and never had any problems with any of them. Making sure the cleat release tension is right for you and there shouldn't be a problem.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use the M324 on all my bikes and have done for years. They are great.

I use them Winter and summer and have never had any issues with them.

OP
OP
S

Scuderia

Are
I use the M324 on all my bikes and have done for years. They are great.

I use them Winter and summer and have never had any issues with them.
Are they double sided? I can't tell from the pics on Wiggle. These and the M545 seem golden. I've realised that whenever you want to make your road bike more practical you have to start looking at mountain bike components!

Top Bottom