Clipless Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very often there are comments about clipless being dangerous due to being attached. Or people not feeling safe being attached to the bike.

Then the are various comments about performance, which I don't believe.

However, I did come across this video, which in my opinion. Does highlight the benefits of being clipped to the pedals (or toe straps)

View: https://youtu.be/oB4ZGCbGYHg

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think they're dangerous. It's an unpopular view but I think many folk move to them before their fundamental riding skills are up to the job, and that's what's dangerous. I've never had a whiff of a clipless moment, and many of the more experienced or more qualified riders I know haven't had a problem wither.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Doesn't look like he's using any retention system, looks like his foot slipped off the pedals. Definitely an argument for cleats.

GC

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I came off the bike I disconnected from my pedals without trying nor thinking, clinging on to the hoods for dear life was another matter!

The scenario in the video, has happened to me before, albeit wind / rain assisted. Clipless makes it so much easier to 'hop' the bike about, if needs be. Also the advantages of not having to readjust your feet, every time you hit a sunken drain cover, bump, crack, or pothole, can't be emphasised enough, plus the 'real world' reduction in fatigue, on a long and / or fast ride, is unequivocal. Every time I hear someone , telling me "oooohh clipless riding, has been proven to be no more efficient / better, than riding flats" I just say that in that case, I expect all the pro teams will be switching to flats next year, before pointing out, that any test carried out on a treadmill / rollers, in a lab, isn't really valid, because treadmills / rollers, don't have pot holes, and there is no wind in a lab.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Doesn't look like he's using any retention system, looks like his foot slipped off the pedals. Definitely an argument for cleats.

GC
I'd say it's an argument for better pedals, but not necessarily cleats (or straps).

I used toe-straps from the age of about 13-32 because i felt they were essential. Then i bought some flat pedals (because i liked to colour) and thoroughly intended to fit the straps to them... it was only when i realised that the design of the new pedals meant that my foot never ever slipped off, regardless of footwear or weather conditions that i decided that the straps were no longer needed. (plus, i liked not having to do that little clip-in faff any more)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I unclipped to go down a particularly rocky path, blatantly unsuitable for me touring-style bike - thinking I might fall off or have to put a foot down. although I got away with it, it was a big mistake - would have been far safer with my feet safely attached.

Fair enough those who don't like them, can't be arsed with special shoes or whatever, but arguing they're useless or dangerous is plain silly

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't ride a real fixed gear without retention. It will hurt.

Don't sprint for that gap without retention, you'll not get to it. And don't try a very steep hill either.

I ride clipless even on family bimbles

Top Bottom