Close call this morning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joeletaxi

Regular
So im out for my early morning bike ride around 6.30am. I always wear a Hi Vis vest as i know many motorists are blind and fairs fair, i appreciate cyclists have a low profile and may be missed some times. So im on main road,,very quiet,no one about. Left hand junction coming up, i spot a black ford focus coming up to the junction on the left. The engine revs slow and the car stops. Im ready on the brakes just in case and move a little further right. Closing on maybe 10 ft ow, revs pick up and the car moves forward. My brakes are on and wheels start to lock...car revs drop and car stops !

Typical scenario of car moves out,,driver is usually looking to their left because all they are concerned about is a gap in traffic when really they should be looking right because thats where the most imminent danger is !

You even see this when driving,,lurch forward out of junction then they look !

Too late

Still if i had come off due to impact i would have assumed the position,,,got the police there ,,got my big fat claim in and the driver would ,in all likelihood been charged. I mean ,he/should couldnt use the old,,sorry mate i didnt see you excuse.

One great reason for wearing hi vis when cycling. It may save an impact and it will almost certainly result in a prosecution because it screams of driving without due care and attention.

Heres mine

handy pockets, very bright and very light..
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-vis-executive-waistcoat-yellow-large-42-44-chest/91294

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wakes you up a bit at that time in the morning. I wear my vis vest on the way to work as it acts as a gillet. But I think you have given enough ammunition to the anti vis vest brigade for one day. You wear a vis vest and he still doesn't see you. We make our own choices :O)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
........................ Still if i had come off due to impact i would have assumed the position said:
will almost certainly result in a prosecution because it screams of driving without due care and attention.[/B]

Heres mine

handy pockets, very bright and very light..
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-vis-executive-waistcoat-yellow-large-42-44-chest/91294

I wouldn't hold your breath.
IME of being hit with and without hi viz, witnesses and acceptance by the drivers they were in the wrong, resulted in the police doing SFA

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a wonderful anecdote about the ineffectiveness of hi-vis. However, it involves me being in the wrong, so I shan't post it. :tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Joeletaxi I suspect you give the authorities and judiciary too much credit had it been a worse outcome. Glad it wasn't.

Even with the vest you link to, you were not spotted until too late but for your own evasive actions.

This is why I wear a Sam Browne belt over dark clothing. It screams out cyclist more than the typical builders vest that all sorts of professions and hobbyists use and provides a more vivid contrast than a big slab of yellow IMHO. It may not make a difference ultimately, but I'd rather be as uniquely cyclist as I can be.

Are you saying the police attended a non-injury, non-collision incident? Where was this?

OP
OP
J

Joeletaxi

Regular
I didnt realise there were some who were hi vis rebels ! Still, i think its only fair to take steps to make yourself more visible. I have a car and motorbike licence also so i can see a few facets of the debate..

Top Bottom