close passing prosecutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
All a nice idea, but almost entirely unenforceable isn't it?
Agree. If a policeman sees it happen then fair enough. If someone records it happening with a helmet camera, and happens to be looking right at the time, they stand a chance. But 90% of the time, it will be a cyclist reporting it with no evidence other than their own interpretation.

Let's be positive though. At least if there's a threat of being "done by the rozzers", it might stop some people close passing?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
In these instances, my local police have taken action by visiting the (shocked) driver & giving stern words of advice, based upon the pictures & reviewing the video footage. With the blue Renault, they asked if I wanted them to consider prosecution. Perhaps camera footage would be enough ?
caravan pass.png
HV06 WKB.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the .75 about? That could be argued/misconstrued/misinterpreted to be something like a maximum distance from the kerb for a cyclist?
It's probably a hangover from the bad old "Cycling Proficiency Test" where future sideswipe victims were told to ride "about two feet" from the kerb, but it might also be working backwards from the 2m minimum cycle lane width in Local Transport Note 2/08 and some others, adding 25cm to allow pedals to clear the kerb and then deducting the 1.5m passing distance.

Either way, it's not good.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Especially when it's accompanied in the highway code by a picture of a car straddling a white line that would be dangerously close if it was overtaking an identical car:
View attachment 144139
It isn't dangerously close to the cyclist. Surely what counts is the distance between the two road users. Have I misunderstood your meaning?

Big Andy

Über Member
Surely the law in France that should you hit a cyclist, you are immediatley at fault would give these numpty motorists food for thought, and encourage them to pass properly.
Ok in theory i suppose. A bit hard on the motorist who isnt at fault though.

irw

Quadricyclist
Yes, which was that the picture doesn't actually illustrate its caption.
I think the idea is that you would generally leave (for sake of argument) 1.5m between your car and the one you are overtaking. Therefore, you should leave 1.5m between your car and the cyclist you are overtaking. If you had to leave a car's width everytime you overtook a car, all roads would need three lanes!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think the idea is that you would generally leave (for sake of argument) 1.5m between your car and the one you are overtaking. Therefore, you should leave 1.5m between your car and the cyclist you are overtaking. If you had to leave a car's width everytime you overtook a car, all roads would need three lanes!

+1

The clue is in the word "space". It's not saying that a driver's positioning on the road should be identical whether they are overtaking a bike or another car, but that they should allow the same clearance (as a minimum) in either case. I can't see how the graphic supports any other interpretation.

It may work in other countries. But I am personally against the introduction of any legislation that places automatic or implied blame on any part before an investigation.

Top Bottom