Clothes for a funeral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

I have to go to a funeral next week and having not been to one in some time im a bit worried about attire.

I only own one suit.

Its very dark blue with a very fine (almost invisible) pinstripe running through it.

Do you think this will be ok or do i need to go out an buy a black suit.

Its a very close family member so i cant just hide at the back either.

byegad

Legendary Member
TBH it depends on your family. Mine would think your suit was fine, but some families can be VERY upset if you stray from the 'norm'. Is there anyone you in the family can ask?

betty swollocks

large member
That'll do just fine with a white shirt, 'sober' tie and very well polished shoes.
DON'T forget attending to the shoes.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would think it would be fine with a white shirt and black tie.

tyred

Legendary Member
It'll be fine with a black tie. The ettiquette (sp?) around here is a dark suit with white shirt and black tie for a close blood relative, outside that, a dark suit with a normal tie.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Jut went to a funeral last month and it was the closest blood relative no one wants to lose. I had to organise it and to be honest didnt really care whether people had black or dark blue suits.

As long as the stripes are not hot pink I am sure you will be fine.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Can't see anyone being too concerned with what you wear, unless they have a strict policy which everyone knows about.

I went to the funeral of the child of a friend of the family - they insisted that it was to be a celebration of the child's short life, and that everyone be brightly dressed. It was the saddest occasion I've ever witnessed despite this. Absolutely heart breaking. :rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
When my Irish pal died he left instructions that everybody was to wear the same bright silk ties he gave us all to wear at his wedding, only a few years before.

Saddle bum

Über Member
It was my mother's wish that the ladies did not wear black, she hated it.

Men should wear a suit and tie, almost any tie would do, within the limits of propriety. Personally, I prefer not to wear a black tie, but conform to the family's wishes.

If there are hymns, sing them with a bit of enthusiasm, nothing worse than reluctant singers.........

Hugo15

Über Member
betty swollocks said:
That'll do just fine with a white shirt, 'sober' tie and very well polished shoes.
DON'T forget attending to the shoes.

Went to my wife's gran's funeral earlier this year. Was sat next to my sister-in-law and part way through the service I noticed that she was wearing trainers :becool:. Had to do a double take just to check!

buggi

Bird Saviour
people aren't generally as strict as they used to be and some even like to wear brighter stuff nowadays. i think a that suit you own will be more than fine.

scook94

Veteran
I agree with what's been said before, the suit you have is fine and a white shirt and black tie is all that is needed to show your respects. Unless you hear otherwise, then you can't fail.

Was at a funeral a few years ago (mother of an ex) and the father had a red jacket ( butlins type) and the 2 daughter's had bright floral dresses. It made me smile when I saw them, it was just them to a tee. The mother wouldn't have wanted it to be a sad occasion, but rather a celebration of her life. I almost felt embarrassed wearing a black suit, white shirt and black tie!

Top Bottom